News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headers/ Duel Exhaust on 318, worth it?

Started by NHCharger, December 23, 2006, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

I currently have the stock factory exhaust on my 72, 318 Charger except for a flowbastard muffler. The engine already has a four barrel set up. Would I pick up any performance gain by going to headers/duel exhaust? Oh yeah, it also sports the 2.71 open rear end.
If it is worth it what would you guys recommend. I currently have Hedman headers on my 71,383. They seem OK. The mufflers suck , think their Thrush, and I read on another thread were the flowbastards rob power so I would also be looking for some good sounding mufflers. Don't need a top of the line set up since this is my weekend driver.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

firefighter3931

Yep, ditch the logs and single exhaust....and especially that "flowbastard "  ;D

A set of headers and 2.25-2.5in exhaust would really help wake it up....especially with the 4bbl on there. Summit is now selling dual exhast kits for a very reasonable price.  :yesnod:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D680140&N=700+4294923429+4294922451+4294920008+4294908110+4294908099+400304+4294925079+4294840085+115&autoview=sku

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

Even going to dual exhaust using the stock exhaust manifolds would make a good difference.     

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SeattleCharger

I had a 318 2 barrel in my '76 black dodge Adventurer Sport ext. cab truck, and the previous owner had made it into dual exhuast, stock exhaust manifolds, and for the mufflers it had the glass pack type mufflers, which are basically a long tube shape, come in many lengths, and both ran out the pass. side behind back wheel, anyways, it sounded awesome, was not really loud or anything, but had a great sound like there was a cam in it and deep rumbly, I mean, for what it was, then you would have dual exhaust,    before that I did this with a POS old one ton ext. van, had a 360, ran two glass packs underneath on both sides, one set was too loud, added second set of longer ones in addition, was just right,  anyways, for the dough, putting dual exhaust with stock manifolds makes a big difference over single exhaust, if you don't want the trouble of header leaks and cost of them, that's what I would do, if the stock manifolds are already installed and leak free and working fine, don't bother messing with them IMO. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

ChargerSG

I changed on my 318 Challenger and it got allot better :icon_smile_big:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

kamkuda

NHCharger

Thanks for the replies guys.
Ron, thank you very much for the link.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

firefighter3931

Quote from: NHCharger on December 28, 2006, 10:12:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ron, thank you very much for the link.

You're welcome NHC.  :icon_smile_cool:

Just a note : Be prepared to re-jet the carb once the Exhaust has been upgraded.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

Check Dynomax for their ceramic coated headers. I got mine for my big block for $245. The flanges are super thick and don't leak. Go with the headers and dual 2.25 in exhaust. You might find Dynomax Ultra flow mufflers will flow loke gang busters and it will be pretty quiet at ldle and light throttle. You will never be sorry you did it. I would even go as for to say maybe 25ish horse power gain. That's seat of the pants gain. Be careful. The speed bug will bite and you will be a junky in no time.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Steve P.

Wow, those Summit pipes look pretty good for that kind of money.. Can't see any kinks in the pipes anywhere..  :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RogerDodger

They look good in the picture but read the fine print under it. Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.