News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Corporate blue is Petty Blue?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, December 28, 2006, 09:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

is Chrysler Corporate blue also Petty Blue?

Ghoste

No, Corporate Blue is B5.  Petty blue is that custom color Petty ran on his cars.

THE CHARGER PUNK

this was car originally first painted B5 blue but then switched to ''corporate'' blue, and i have 2 say this looks alot more like petty blue then it does its original B5, so i dont think corporate blue is B5, anyone know 4 sure what corporate blue?

Ghoste

I stand corrected.  I have always thought B5 and Corporate were the same.

kab69440

It's my understanding that "Corporate Blue" is the turquoise-esque light blue used on non-HP engines.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

41husk

I thought corp blue and petty were the same!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ghoste

lol.  That's a few indefinite answers for you.  Petty Blue is pretty close to that engine blue that kab mentions so between that and what Husk figures maybe that's your answer Matt?
I've looked in paint code books and tried the net to no avail so far.

whitehat69

corp blue and petty blue are the same, it is known as B3

Ghoste

So they are both nicknames then?  Because I can't find anything like those for B3.  I find Ice Blue, Basin Street Blue, Cadet Blue, Blue Streak, Light Blue, and Bahama Blue for B3 but's all I can find.

Jon Smith

its not b3 my charger was originally b3 its a light metallic

tan top

Quote from: Jon Smith on December 30, 2006, 12:16:59 PM
its not b3 my charger was originally b3 its a light metallic

:yesnod:  B3  on a 69 model year is  light blue metallic .  but  dodge/ plymouth launched  ( blue streak / basin blue ) color for the 72 model year & gave it a B3 paint code also .    the light blue metallic B3 was not available that year .  i  think  that petty  blue is the same color .  i also think i remember  petty blue as being a special  order  on earlier cars  ( 999)  paint code  for  southern dealers or something , might be getting confused with some thing else though.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NHCharger

Tan top is right. The B3 color in 69 is not the same B3 for 72/72. My fender tag on my 72 actual says TB3, why, I have no clue. Dodge called it blue streak, Plymouth called is basin street blue. When I picked up the paint for it at Sanel's it was labeled Super Blue. I have also heard it called Corporate Blue. I prefer to call it Petty Blue.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ghoste

But... when I look for the name, "Corporate Blue", or "Petty Blue" in a paint interchange manual, I don't see those names anywhere in there on any color code.  So, are they just nicknames or were they both 999 codes?  I know that Petty Blue was available on a limited run of 71 or 72 Road Runners.  Was it just a 999 thing?

THE CHARGER PUNK

Ghoste

Thanks. Now, is it the same as Petty Blue?

Carl1

Back in the day I tried to get Petty Blue for our race car,as I thought it was the greatest blue I had ever seen. Photos do not show the true colour, it is almost fluorescent. Well after quizzing the paint shops and Chryco parts I called Petty, as we were already buying a lot of parts from them and asked about the paint. I was told it was a special formulation for Petty and was not available to anyone other than Petty Ent. and they wouldn't sell it. I have seen some close colours in the early 70's but they weren't Petty Blue. Petty had this colour as far back as I can remember, it was only when STP was sponsoring that the cars started to get more red on them. The red was a special colour also, almost fluorescent orange and it complimented the blue to make a stunning look. As STP put in more money there was less and less blue,conversely as STP started to pull out there was less and less red.I don't think that Petty Blue was ever offered from the factory, and if a colour was called Petty Blue it wasn't what Petty ran on his race cars.

RallyeMike

QuoteTan top is right. The B3 color in 69 is not the same B3 for 72/72. My fender tag on my 72 actual says TB3, why, I have no clue. Dodge called it blue streak, Plymouth called is basin street blue. When I picked up the paint for it at Sanel's it was labeled Super Blue. I have also heard it called Corporate Blue. I prefer to call it Petty Blue.

NH has it: The closest thing to "Petty Blue" offerred by Dodge in a standard color was B3 "Super Blue" starting in 1972. Is it an exact match to "Petty Blue"? I don't now, but it's darn close and will burn your retinas out on a sunny day.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

What did they use on the limited edition Petty Road Runners in 72 (was it 72 they had those?)?  They are supposed to be Petty Blue are they not?  I am pretty sure they came with a 999 on the fender tag.

Rocky

Just mix up some blue and white till you get it.  Just like Petty did.

Ghoste

Resurrecting the dead here, but I just found a note in one of Govier's little books (the 69-71) that says;
"Code 37D, Year 1970, Corporate Blue/Petty Blue, (C37D=999)".