News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where/how is your electric fuel pump mounted?

Started by 68n70, February 01, 2007, 09:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68n70

I'm straightening out some "issues" while my motor is out and am needing some ideas on where/how you have mounted your electric fuel pump.  I have a Holley mounted directly above the rear housing now and I know this is not a good place for a couple reasons, the main being I understand these type of pumps are designed to draw, or siphon and need to be mounted at least level w/ the bottom of the tank.  This presents a problem on my '68 as there doesn't seem to be an ideal place to mount unless I make some sort of bracket. Everything is so tight and cramped that I'd really like to hear how some of you have mounted yours.  Pics are very welcome!!!
Thanks in advance.

Charger-Bodie

i dont have one on my present charger but the one i used to own had it mounted the way youve explained with no problems at all , it also was a holley pump
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68n70

Really? 
I ran it this way for a summer, and other than the unbearable noise, it seemed to work ok, however I read an instruction sheet from Holley that advised it being mounted lower or at least level with the tank to create a siphon from the sending unit to the pump.  I just figured it was incorrect.
Anybody else?
(thanks, by the way for the reply)

jg68

Quote from: 68n70 on February 01, 2007, 09:44:18 PM
I'm straightening out some "issues" while my motor is out and am needing some ideas on where/how you have mounted your electric fuel pump.  I have a Holley mounted directly above the rear housing now and I know this is not a good place for a couple reasons, the main being I understand these type of pumps are designed to draw, or siphon and need to be mounted at least level w/ the bottom of the tank.  This presents a problem on my '68 as there doesn't seem to be an ideal place to mount unless I make some sort of bracket. Everything is so tight and cramped that I'd really like to hear how some of you have mounted yours.  Pics are very welcome!!!
Thanks in advance.

There not designed to siphon, they are pushers, not pullers, so the BEST way is to either run a fuel cell or a sump in your factory tank, then mount the pump behind it & level with the outlet, youwant the cell or pump outlets to face towards the rear, mechanical pumps work different, they draw & push. let me see if this pic. will post.

68n70

jg68,
Thanks for the pic and you're right, I reread the instructions and it does recommend doing what you say about mounting to the rear for the best installation.  It does also say if it pulls from the top of the tank (factory sending unit?) that you need to create a siphon to, I guess, help the flow and lessen the strain on the unit(?).   And since I have a brand new tank in the car, I really would not want to have to take it out or modify it if it weren't totally necessary. 
I guess if it comes to it, and that's my only option, I might be better off running a mechanical pump.  Any advice for one?
(It's a stock motor for now, but I hope to build a healthy street motor in the future) 

jg68

Quote from: 68n70 on February 02, 2007, 04:41:25 PM
jg68,
Thanks for the pic and you're right, I reread the instructions and it does recommend doing what you say about mounting to the rear for the best installation.  It does also say if it pulls from the top of the tank (factory sending unit?) that you need to create a siphon to, I guess, help the flow and lessen the strain on the unit(?).   And since I have a brand new tank in the car, I really would not want to have to take it out or modify it if it weren't totally necessary. 
I guess if it comes to it, and that's my only option, I might be better off running a mechanical pump.  Any advice for one?
(It's a stock motor for now, but I hope to build a healthy street motor in the future) 

I would just get a pump from the parts house for now, i have one (el'-cheapo) on my stock 440 in my truck, it has headers & a 850 TQ, its keeping the engine happy. Another one thats good is the carter street/strip mech. pump, BUT they tend to put out alot of pressure (more then rated), mine put out 10.1/2 on the gauge, so you'll need a regulator for it.

I'd say a mechanical pump is best suited for what you are doing, & with your stock tank, this just makes more sence, those carters will supply enough fuel for a solid 12 sec. 440 charger, with a 3/8 pickup & line, 11s  ;)

Rolling_Thunder

My fuel pump is using the factory pickup (made it larger but factory style) - the whole point of it being lower than the fuel level is to prevent dry start ups....     call Aeromotive and get their one way check valve....     this will keep fuel from draining back to the tank and then the pump can be mounted almost anywhere.   ;)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68n70

That sounds logical, rolling thunder.
I'd like to use the electric pump, since I already have it.  Just curious, how does everyone have theirs wired?  Do you use any sort of relay?
Thanks

andy74

I know mine is wrong,but its on the wheel well right under the ignition box,was like that when i got the car and been there since,over 10,000 miles trouble free-i plan to mount a new one in the correct place this spring

68n70

Chryco Psycho

mine is mounted sideways above the right axle tube on the diff near the shock mount

68n70

Chryco,
Sorry if I appear dense, (which I am!) but could you elaborate?
Are you bolting directly to the floor pan near the shock mount?  (not the shock mount crossmember, right?)  And when you say sideways, you mean horizontal to the floor, correct?  If so, mine is mounted the same way and I'll suddenly feel better about my whole setup.
Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

yes it bolts to the floor above   diff beside the shock crossmember ,the pump sits horizontal not vertical

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 68n70 on February 03, 2007, 02:26:34 PM
That sounds logical, rolling thunder.
I'd like to use the electric pump, since I already have it.  Just curious, how does everyone have theirs wired?  Do you use any sort of relay?
Thanks

from what i know about electronics (a little)  I would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE using a relay for the fuel pump...    it is hooked to ignition hot (duh)  - - -  weak voltage to a pump makes it pre-maturely wear out - - - 

68n70

Thanks Chryco, thanks Rolling thunder,
Since I've never actually wired a relay, could anyone give me the lowdown on what to buy and how to do it exactly?
Thanks again.

Chryco Psycho

a relay is a simple switch you need a heavey preferably fused wire to to terminal 87 & a heavy wire from terminal 30 to the fuel pump , terminal 85 is switched power & terminal 86 goes to ground
get a 30 amp relay & either a relay socket or female connecter to plug onto it   

68n70

Thanks Chryco,
And I can go into any parts store and ask for a relay switch or where do you suggest?  Are there different sizes ratings etc?
Also, does it matter where the switch is located (i.e. nearer to the pump or nearer the source - engine compartment)
Sorry I'm asking so many (I'm sure) ignorant questions, but I want to be absolutely sure of what I'm doing, especially when it comes to electrical items.

Rolling_Thunder

your local parts house (autozone/kragen) should have them - there are different sizes but as Chryco stated - 30amp would be sufficient - it can be mounted pretty much anywhere - the engine bay would be a good idea simply because of accessability

68n70

Roger that, Rolling Thunder.
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help.