News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B-5 69 Daytona Cleveland Ohio

Started by nascarxx29, June 24, 2009, 05:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Found this on a site .No other info other than its a daytona in Cleveland and no year for a timeline .Check out the square headlights .It appears to be B5 ? .And made me think about the DR Springer daytona that surfaced in Cleveland Ohio.But I dont think there the same cars or connected .Other then the B5 color
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35673.0.html

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

It's quite a bit darker than my B5 cars.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Looks more like B7, but then again, way back then, no one was really concerned about the color being an exact match. Most often it was "just get it close enough"....

Would be interesting to see the car today......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGR

I believe that this car belongs to a friend of Pettybirds and is originally a Turquoise painted car. It attended the 2004 Dega event in the darker paint scheme as shown.

WINGR

Mopar John

Yes, That is PETTYBIRDS friend Steve. That is him by the passengers door in the middle picture. The info of it being 1 of 3 known original turquoise cars is correct also. I'm sure Doug knows a bunch more about this car from the Clevland area.

pettybird

those are OLD pics--

that's about how the car looked when he bought it.  it's the Q5 car out of Niles, MI, that got its nose punched circa 1979-81.  it does belong to my friend Steve. 

he got the original (smashed) nose with the car and it was fixed and in place for the '04 reunion. 

the car was a mess, though.  the original owner went through a nasty divorce and the wife/son got the car.  kiddo promptly blew the motor and his friend ran it into a drainage ditch/telephone pole to take out the nose.  I knew of the car from when my dad took me to see it when I was just a couple years old, and I still remembered the car when Steve told me about it in '98 when he got it.  the kid took it to a high school body shop and had the 'glass nose put on as well as the Imron job.  he also tubbed the car, hacked in a four speed, killed the 400 he put into it and left it to die.  oh, and he ran a best of 14.20 with the tubs and stick. 

we went and got the car in 98.  we showed up, loaded the car, a TON of parts and the original block.  we got half the back seat because they used the other half sometime in the mid 80's like a sled to haul bricks around to build a patio.  he told us he had the title, but it was still in mom's name.  he tried to sneak around and find a notary who would forge the title but couldn't.  eventually she showed up, bringing his kids from school, and it turned into world wars 3 and 4 while we waited with the guy's wife in the kitchen.  she eventually relented, came in and sat down.  her friend was a notary and she showed up.  she never even looked at us she was so mad.  apparently he promised he'd keep the car forever.

Steve currently has the car partially disassembled and one quarter off to restore the car.  the frames are mint, the trunk floor is mint and the car is generally solid.  kiddo also installed a radio into the radio delete car by putting an antenna into the cowl.  he then removed the antenna, left the hole open and left the car outside.  that took out the original dash frame and passenger floorpan. 

the car runs and drives really well, and I've logged more miles behind the wheel of it than any other wing car besides ours.  oh, and 440/auto powered again, on old school Sportsman Pros and with the worst Midas exhaust you'll ever see it now runs 13.70's at 103. 

hey John you really should introduce yourself--I've talked about you on here before...  going to Carlisle?

pettybird

the other B5/F5 car belongs to Joe Angelucci, who just had the house fire.  the car's fine and was parked in an off-site garage.  his brother threw a car show and he didn't bring it because...not kidding...he'd gotten some free toilets and they were in the car's exit path.  if you know Joe you know only something this bizarre isn't a lie. 

he didn't need the toilets, per se, but they were free, so...

tan top

good find !! intresting  :scratchchin: ........ :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Doug,
Is there a format to follow for a " coming  out " ? Or do you just start a new post?  I have added an avitar picture showing our 1970 440 6 pack bird and our 1970 GTX drag car 9.49@139.60! I am not going to Carlisle. If I was as close as you are I would at least go for the day.
Mopar John

Dave Kanofsky

Welcome John!  Good to have you here.

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

nascarxx29

I remember Steve Kay when he had the F6 Daytona

pettybird

Quote from: Mopar John on June 24, 2009, 01:47:52 PM
Doug,
Is there a format to follow for a " coming  out " ? Or do you just start a new post?  I have added an avitar picture showing our 1970 440 6 pack bird and our 1970 GTX drag car 9.49@139.60! I am not going to Carlisle. If I was as close as you are I would at least go for the day.
Mopar John

9.49 is a bunch quicker than the last times I heard about!  congrats! 
I'll be in Carlisle from Thursday on with the company.  I'll be in building T with A12 #1 and Project Six Pack. 

Steve sold the F6 car 6/96 and regretted it immediately.  it was a typical chance to buy real estate and he didn't think he'd miss having an aero car so much...he got the chance to buy the Q5 car as a project for $10k two years later. 

He doesn't like talking about how much he has into his cars but I told him I wouldn't worry about telling people he has a running and driving, #'s matching motor, fender tag, build sheet (thanks to Danny) Daytona for under $17k  :lol:

69_500

Quote from: pettybird on June 24, 2009, 04:33:16 PM
Doug,
Mopar John

I'll be in Carlisle from Thursday on with the company.  I'll be in building T with A12 #1 and Project Six Pack. 

Steve sold the F6 car 6/96 and regretted it immediately.  it was a typical chance to buy real estate and he didn't think he'd miss having an aero car so much...he got the chance to buy the Q5 car as a project for $10k two years later. 

He doesn't like talking about how much he has into his cars but I told him I wouldn't worry about telling people he has a running and driving, #'s matching motor, fender tag, build sheet (thanks to Danny) Daytona for under $17k  :lol:

Broadcast sheet is only in part my doing, Gene had a lot to do with it as well. He is the one who asked me if I knew who's car it was. Steve is a very nice guy, everytime I see him at a show/swap meet he is always more than willing to shoot the breeze about Aero cars with me. I think he has pity on me because I don't have a wing car yet.

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on June 24, 2009, 08:45:32 PM
Quote from: pettybird on June 24, 2009, 04:33:16 PM
Doug,
Mopar John

Broadcast sheet is only in part my doing, Gene had a lot to do with it as well. He is the one who asked me if I knew who's car it was. Steve is a very nice guy, everytime I see him at a show/swap meet he is always more than willing to shoot the breeze about Aero cars with me. I think he has pity on me because I don't have a wing car yet.

It's not pity--he just has you pegged as a guy he can trust.  you know those crazy New Yorkers.  he was REALLY impressed by your binder of information you showed him. 

nascarxx29

Just curious did it race at any well known drag strips outside Ohio .Or was it just a local area 1/4 mile car.You mention it had been tubbed any other mods subframe frame connectors roll cage

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 25, 2009, 04:51:26 AM
Just curious did it race at any well known drag strips outside Ohio .Or was it just a local area 1/4 mile car.You mention it had been tubbed any other mods subframe frame connectors roll cage

no.  it was just put together by a kid who at the time didn't know any better.  he really never went faster than 14.2

no cage, no connectors.  just big wheel wells and the glass nose.  it was more than enough  ;)

69_500

Yeah I think the last time I talked to Steve was here at the swap meets in Indy last year. We had a booth right next to each other, so we shot the breeze for the whole weekend about various cars and such. Very nice guy.

richRTSE

Doug, did you and Steve ever have your cars out at Norwalk together? Either for Wednesday night races or a Friday test and tune? I remember being out there once and there were 2 (maybe 3?) wing cars that showed up. I know one was a blue 'Bird and I thought the other car was a blue Daytona. My memory isn't what it used to be. I thought it would have been around 1995-96, but you mentioned Steve got the car in '98, so I guess maybe I'm a little off on my timeline. I thought I had a picture from then, but I haven't been able to find it yet.