News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help diagnosing problem - HELP!

Started by NYCMille, September 19, 2005, 09:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Need help diagnosing a problem.

I have a 68 Charger - 440, 906 heads .030 over, Edelbrock Performer 440 Dual plane intake, Holley 850DP, high volume mechanical fuel pump and have been fighting what I think is a Vapor Lock problem all season. I have done the following to try and solve it.

- Heat wrapped all fuel lines and moved them as far away from the engine possible
- Put in 1" phenolic spacer between carb and intake
- added fuel pressure regulator set to about 6.5lbs of pressure
- changed intake manifold gasket/valleypan gasket to Felpro 1215

The car is still loading up after driving about 30 miles at a time. The car runs relatively cool - I run 175-180 on the highway. The only things I can think of left to replace are the carb and the fuel pump. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

thanks -

Mike

grouseman

I have no idea what you mean by 'loading up'.  Care to describe it for us? 

grouseman

NYCMille

If I am on the highway just cruising, say at a solid 70mph for 30-40 minutes everything seems ok as long I have a steady stream of fuel going into the carb, once I take my foot off the gas it seems as though the car is going to stall out when coming to a stop, say when getting off and exit ramp or coming to a stop light. When declerating for example I'll take my foot off the gas and hear POP, POP, POP, POP coming from the exhaust or I'll sometimes just hear a loud sputtering followed a LOUD pop. There have been times that I actually have to keep one foot on the gas and the other on the brake in order to get the car off an exit ramp to keep it from stalling out.

The last modification was to add a fuel pressure regulator - before that I was running like 10lbs of pressure which was too much. I was told I should run no more than 6-7, thus the fuel pressure regulator was installed.

I know it's hard to describe in an email - if anyone want to call please feel free and I can give a better idea of what is happening - its driving me NUTS though.

516-382-4131

thanks - Mike

grouseman

What else, besides fuel pressure, have you tried to fix it?  What are your floats set at?  Sounds like you're rich on decel, with unburned gas in the exhaust.  What can you tell us about your ignition set up?  Vac and mech advances both working, and what are their specs?  Initial timing?  I'm not a Holley expert by any means, but is the power valve in good shape?  Are your secondaries hanging open at all? 

grouseman

cudaken

Mike, I enjoyed slurging to you. Hope I was of some help.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

have you shortened the advance curve to allow more advnace at idle ?
is the power valve rated for less vacuum than you make at idle in gear ?

NYCMille

Ken -

Great speaking to you as well - thanks so much for the call - as soon as I can I will be checking the engine with a heat gun to see the "real" story is and then I'll go from there - I'll keep you posted. Also, next call is on me  ;D

thanks again -

Mike