News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust question

Started by AirborneSilva, July 26, 2007, 07:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

This is not a question about a Charger but it is a MOPAR none the less.  I just bought an 05 Ram with a Hemi, the previous owner put a flowmaster cat back on it, basicly it appears to be 3" pipe coming out of the cats on each side, then it goes into one 3" pipe that feeds into a flowmaster and comes out into duals that are 2 1/4".  My question (or one of them), is wouldn't a true dual exhaust be better?  I did ask this question on a Dodge Truck forum but I know that you guys here are some pretty dern good performance gurus.  Thanks for you time and thoughts.

Chryco Psycho

generally a true dual will perform better but with a large enough muffler with low restriction the gain in this case should be minimal

aifilaw

I think if you converted the whole system to a true dual, you would see a slight gain, 5-10 hp up top. I agree that the gains will be minimal, but flow master as the final single 3" to dual muffler is a pretty restrictive choice in that application. They are good for sound, but don't flow as well as some others.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

AirborneSilva

Thanks guys, I had heard that flowmasters were pretty restrictive.  While sound is great I want performance as well so the flowmaster will have to go at the very least.  Thanks for the replys and info.

Tony

firefighter3931

Magnaflow should have a drop in muffler to replace the restrictive flowmaster.....i would look there. The magnaflows are excellent flowing mufflers.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AirborneSilva

Thanks Ron, so you think I should pretty much stay with the same setup but just replace the flowmaster with the magnaflow?

aifilaw

honestly, there are some flowmaster mufflers out there which have decent flow, the 60 series is meant for some strange application... I believe trucks... but I put them on my charger for a deep and throaty sound, and they sound better than a 572 chevy with a 300 degree cam and dual 3" 40 series flowmasters..
not too mention they flow about 30% better than the 40 series which everyone uses.

My problem with most muffler manufacturer's is... either they
A. cater to sound and try to cater to performance but fail at the performance (flowmaster)
B. cater to performance and try to cater to sound but fail at both (borla)
C. et cetera...

imo most aftermarket mufflers aside from flowmaster have sounded horrible, either at idle, at high rpm, or both.... but to each their own. Just find someone who has one on a similar engine buildup... or hunt the internet, there are tons of sound clips, and take a listen before you invest the money.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Quote from: AirborneSilva on July 27, 2007, 08:52:21 AM
Thanks Ron, so you think I should pretty much stay with the same setup but just replace the flowmaster with the magnaflow?

Yep, that's exactly what i would do  :2thumbs:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D12278&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AirborneSilva

Thank you for the help guys, it looks like a magnaflow is in my future  :yesnod:  and thanks for the link Ron...

firefighter3931

You're welcome Tony.  :cheers:

Ron

69DodgeCharger

Did you get rid of your Liberty? The truck might be more helpful during your upcoming move, plus you should be able to tow your car back east now, assuming the truck and trailer setup is good to go.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on July 27, 2007, 07:39:52 PM
Did you get rid of your Liberty? The truck might be more helpful during your upcoming move, plus you should be able to tow your car back east now, assuming the truck and trailer setup is good to go.

Nah, I got rid of my Rubicon  :'(  it was a sad day but I hadn't been wheeling in a year and it just seemed more practicle to have a pickup (I've needed one a bazillion times), plus now I have a chance to talk the commander in chief (that would be the wifey), into possibly getting a trailer to tow the charger back east. 

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: AirborneSilva on July 27, 2007, 08:02:10 PM
Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on July 27, 2007, 07:39:52 PM

Nah, I got rid of my Rubicon  :'(  it was a sad day but I hadn't been wheeling in a year and it just seemed more practicle to have a pickup (I've needed one a bazillion times), plus now I have a chance to talk the commander in chief (that would be the wifey), into possibly getting a trailer to tow the charger back east. 

I can't even imagine trying to live without a pickup. Bought my first one in 88 and haven't been without one since. As far as trailers go I would get a closed deck so you can haul anything on it. Trying to haul 12 foot drywall or lumber in a regular pickup is no fun. but with the closed deck you can do it no problem. But I notice once you have a trailer everybody wants to borrow it! And rarely do they offer anything in return.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

AirborneSilva

I'd been telling my wife for years that I need a pickup, I was hoping she would get the hint and buy me one without having to get rid of the Rubicon but she didn't  :'(  now I have to talk her into the trailer then I'll be set  :yesnod: