News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motorcycling in Moab, UT *PICS* (dialup beware!)

Started by volk68, September 21, 2005, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

volk68

As some of you know, my brother and I love to ride motorcycles, and my brother and I got a chance to hook up with some friends in Moab over the weekend.  We had a chance to ride some nice terrain.  Saturday we hit Kane Creek, normally a rated 3 trail that is now so washed out due to heavy rains that it is being considered a 4.  We followed it up with the White Rim trail into the Canyon Lands and finished things up with Gemini Bridges and Metal Masher (a 4).  Overall a great time, here are the few pics we slowed down long enough to take:

We didn't get any on the Kane Creek trail except for these few all the way at the end.  This is the stairstep that takes you out of the canyon:

This was the origin of Kane Creek at the end of the trail.  Pictures just don't catch how cool this little spot really is.

From here we followed a little single track trail along the rim of the canyon wall surrounding Kane Creek  My brother show boating a little.

That afternoon we headed to the White Rim trailhead which begins at the Utah Salt Mine's Potash facility.  These lakes are really peculiar looking...very blue but with the thin white on everything.  They really stood out in the desert.

A cool rock on the way up the canyon.

The crew stops at the top to look at the river and some rafters below

Headed to Feaux Falls at sundown:

Matt decides to soap up and wash his hair in the falls...freezing water...something just isn't right with this guy

Saturday morning we headed to Gemini Bridge.  Not a very challenging ride, but the Bridge is just too cool to miss.  We used to ride over the bridge itself, but now you must walk to it.  It isn't very narrow, but it still used to be a rush to ride over   

My brother checking a crack in the bridge:

You can see Bull Canyon at the bottom of the arch.  It has a big sand dune.

A stair step we half-heartedly attempted, but never quite got over. 

From here we headed to my favorite trail in Moab to date, Metal Masher.  The pictures won't tell the story on this trail, but the views are awesome and the obstacles are challenging and fun.  I love Metal Masher alot.

This ledge is hard to see, and you have about 20' from the small painted warning before you go off the cliff.  You have to stay on your toes

Now, from the very top of Metal Masher:

There were a lot more pictures (and cooler ones at that) we could have taken, but this is a good overview of the trip.  I know this isn't a motorcycle forum, but I figure since off-topic was a good place to learn about each other's interests outside of Mopars, I would post these anyway  :icon_smile:

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Charger_Fan

Cool pics, Man! I've never ridden a dirtbike through that area, I'm more of a streetbike kinda guy...but I might have to make an exception soon.

I can say that I've been one of the guys flating down the river a couple times before. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Vainglory, Esq.

:2thumbs:

I might have to plan a trip there one of these days.

Lowprofile

Wow!  My wife and I have always wanted to do that [trail ride]. Thanks for the post. Keep um Comming! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

derailed

great pics, reminds me alot of going 4 wheelin in my dads truck out in colorado

MoparMotel

Looks like good riding terrain!

What kind of bikes do you guys ride? Do you mostly trail ride or a little motocross too? I rode a 2004 Honda CRF450 till i broke my arm and my parents flipped out last October. I talked them into letting me ride again and am looking for a used 2005 CRF450. Here are a few pics of my `04 CRF450. The first couple are the first day i got it. Anyone else on this board ride?
1968 Dodge Charger

bluesfool

Brock Samson

Nupe

Cool pics!   I'd love an ATV, but would definitely hurt myself.   :icon_smile_blackeye:   Was riding my friend's YZF450 (?) four wheeler the other day and was trying some power wheelies after a couple minutes.   Decided it was time to get off before I broke myself.     Thing cranks and is the size of a kids wheeler.     :devil:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Mefirst

volk68

Quote from: MoparMotel on September 21, 2005, 07:57:23 PM
Looks like good riding terrain!

What kind of bikes do you guys ride? Do you mostly trail ride or a little motocross too? I rode a 2004 Honda CRF450 till i broke my arm and my parents flipped out last October. I talked them into letting me ride again and am looking for a used 2005 CRF450. Here are a few pics of my `04 CRF450. The first couple are the first day i got it. Anyone else on this board ride?

We're riding old school Honda XR 600's.  Very heavy, but very powerful.  Not the most technologically advanced machines, but absolutely bulletproof.  I used to ride Honda CR 250's, but I am pretty much a 100% trail rider now, so I like the power and durability of the 4-stroke.  One of the guys with us was riding a KTM 300 EXC two stroke that was an amazing machine.  It lugged down like a four, but raps out and weighs like a conventional 2 stroke.  If I ever buy another 2, that will probably be the one I get.