News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rust in gas tank help

Started by charger2fast4u, August 14, 2007, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

what's the best way to remove rust in the gas tank i droped it out today and there is lots of rust in it i got alot of it out and wanted to know whats the best way to get it all out and is there anything i can put inside it to help with preventing rust from happening its a 68 charger

71ChallengeHer

I bought a new tank when that happened to me. If your gonna let your car sit for a long period , always keep the tank full of gas . Plus I add Sea Foam to the tank when I let it sit for the winter.

The70RT

Check with eastwood. They have a liquid lining that goes over rust.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

terrible one

Doesn't POR-15 make some kind of kit for coating the inside of the tank? Maybe Eastwood? I know that someone does. Either way, like 71ChallengeHer said, I'd just get another tank if I were you. Don't deal with the old on when you can get a new one for not all too much, in my opinion.

ChgrSteve67

You can use a sealer kit like this.
http://www.amazon.com/FUEL-TANK-SEALER-KBS-Coatings/dp/B000IBEOQ2

or buy a new gas tank.

I bought a new gas tank.

Steve

70charger_boy

In my opinion, when it comes to rusty gas tanks, just replace it.  A new tank and sending unit is like $250.00.  It's money well spent, unless you like dropping the tank every time you clog up  your fuel lines

Todd Wilson

Probably easier to go buy a new tank but you could tie it to the big wheel of a tractor. Put some sand and pebbles, nuts and bolts or a piece of chain in it and then go for a drive on the tractor.  After a while stop and clean the sand out and the inside should be shiny as new. Coat the inside and put it back together.

Todd

Bob

I took mine to a rad/gas tank shop and had it boiled and lined for 80 bucks. Just like new again.  :Twocents:

charger2fast4u

i am just looking for a cheap temporary solution that will let me use this gas tank without having rust give me any problems getting in my engine or clogging up my lines until the winter time when i can get a new one

The70RT

It's gonna cost at least 50 bucks from eastwood for the lining....so another 75 you can get a tank. If you live by Todd maybe he will strap it on his tractor if you buy the gas......been hot too better have beer  :cheers: in other words....buy a new one.

charger2fast4u

where can i get a tank for $125 everyone  i found was over 200 plus i need all the fuel float and sender and all 

The70RT

I seen second gen on ebay for 135.00....i was off by 10. Of course their is shipping. The sender is seperate. I got one last year for 60. So yeah about 200 then. If you have a third gen then?

71ChallengeHer

charge it

I too need a tank who is jacks?

The70RT

I did notice there are some 3rd gen ones on eBay. They are higher than 2ed gen though. I got mine from Frank Mitchell 8 years ago and paid almost 200 with shipping. They have went down in price since than. Mine is a MoPar brand though.

bull

$130-$155 on Ebay. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=1968+charger+gas+tank&category0=

Personally I'd go with this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-DODGE-CHARGER-NEW-GAS-TANK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ003QQitemZ130144590906QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Mustangs Unlimited is one of the best companies I've ever dealt with on Ebay. I'm sure the other ones are ok too but I bought my Charger gas tank from them and they are awesome to work with. They flat rate ship anywhere in the US for $22 Almost makes me wish I had a Mustang. Well, not really...

You just don't see this very often on Ebay:
Seller: mustangsunlimited( 23463) 

71ChallengeHer

charge it

bull

I haven't heard much good about Jack's. You might want to do a search here and see what you can find before you buy from them.

EDIT** nevermind, I was thinking of Jim's. ::) Carry on.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27533.0.html