News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast And Furious Charger

Started by JMF, September 03, 2007, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Not to mention that a F&F Charger would absolutely have to have the hydraulic wheelie jacks underneath to make the car truly authentic.  That has to cost a little more than a pushbar and cb antenna.

Chris G.

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2007, 06:42:19 PM
Not to mention that a F&F Charger would absolutely have to have the hydraulic wheelie jacks underneath to make the car truly authentic.

Yikes!  :o That's pushing it a little. That's like having crumpled frame rails on a Dukes car after replicating it.  :icon_smile_wink:

Ghoste

Yeah but you know everywhere you went people would want to see it do the big wheelie.  :D

Chris G.

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2007, 06:51:35 PM
Yeah but you know everywhere you went people would want to see it do the big wheelie.  :D

If it was profitable, someone would do it.  :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

QuoteThat may be true, but it's much easier to paint a car orange and slap a decal set on and have fun, than it is to paint a car black (and look good), and pay for a blown 440 and actually have fun driving it and not have constant problems. Financially, it would be a bad move for Joe Blue Collar to make a true F&F clone. The Dukes clone is much easier to do. Heck, most Duke clones aren't even clones. They have black interior, wrong year, etc. Unless you have a blower, slicks and a roll bar, you can't do a F&F clone, and that's just the minimal requirements.  Twocents

There are lots of GLs that were built with $25-40K.  LOTS of them in that range.
And the fact that the GL had a crate Hemi in the 2005 movie hasn't stopped people from trying to replicate it (specifically the 2005 movie GLs), either. 

There's nothing about the F&F car that's any more difficult/unlikely to duplicate than any other movie car. 

People already do full-blown fiberglass-shelled Batmobiles, Ecto-1s, BTTF DeLoreans (complete with the neon stuff), there are guys with $20-30K in a decent KITT car replica with all the dashboard electronics functional, there's Mad Max Interceptor clones with & without the functional blowers . . .

Chris G.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 04, 2007, 06:56:57 PM
And the fact that the GL had a crate Hemi in the 2005 movie hasn't stopped people from trying to replicate it (specifically the 2005 movie GLs), either. There's nothing about the F&F car that's any more difficult/unlikely to duplicate than any other movie car. 

Oh what the hey, might as well reply...Mike , I have never seen a replica Duke car with a Hemi. Maybe you have, but I definitely have not. Please don't try and say that it's just as easy to clone a F&F car as it is to do a Dukes car...we both know it's not even close dollar wise.

QuotePeople already do full-blown fiberglass-shelled Batmobiles, Ecto-1s, BTTF DeLoreans (complete with the neon stuff), there are guys with $20-30K in a decent KITT car replica with all the dashboard electronics functional, there's Mad Max Interceptor clones with & without the functional blowers . . .

I have seen 1 batmobile ever, and it cost way more than 25K-30K to build. Back to the Future cars? Do you really see them? As far as a Night Rider clone, unless it speaks to me and calls me Michael, I consider it a junker.  :icon_smile_wink:

Keep it real Mike, you could pull into a local cruise with an orange paint job with 01 stickers, and everyone is saying it's a General Lee. Unless you pull in with a fully functional blown '70 Charger painted black, nobody will know what it's supposed to be.

Hot_Rodder

A couple of points to mention. One, just how many of these were made? Seems like more than one. In the movie, while the car was in the garage when they first show it, it's got a Hemi, and that blower looked real.... In this Charger's case, it says it's got a 440, with fake blower... So where there two cars? If so, I'll take the one they first showed. :shruggy:

Drache

Quote from: Hot_Rodder on September 04, 2007, 07:13:41 PM
A couple of points to mention. One, just how many of these were made? Seems like more than one. In the movie, while the car was in the garage when they first show it, it's got a Hemi, and that blower looked real.... In this Charger's case, it says it's got a 440, with fake blower... So where there two cars? If so, I'll take the one they first showed. :shruggy:

There were two movie cars I believe, the one with the 440 that was flipped/rolled, and then the real car that was in the garage. Then on top of that there were clones made for the Universal Studios theme parks. The hemi one from what I've gathered is "missing".
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Mike DC

QuoteOh what the hey, might as well reply...Mike , I have never seen a replica Duke car with a Hemi. Maybe you have, but I definitely have not. Please don't try and say that it's just as easy to clone a F&F car as it is to do a Dukes car...we both know it's not even close dollar wise.

There's a couple of Hemi GL clones out there.  But the point I was making is that just because there was one brief screen-shot of a Hemi in the DOH movie, that doesn't stop people from cloning the car w/o the real crate Hemi, does it?

The F&F cars were prop-cars with fake blowers bolted to the hoods.  The only real blower in the F&F movie got exactly the same amount of screen-time as the only real crate Hemi in the 2005 movie GLs.  I really wouldn't be surprised if the F&F car produces a few fake-blowered replicas.  (Not to mention some actual blowers on 440 wedges too, which are MUCH cheaper to build than a blown Hemi.)

Just look at how many Mad Max clones have been done with fake blowers like the prop cars.  the lack of a real blower didn't "stop them" from building a MM replica, did it?    Some of those replicas are even purposely done with the fake blower because you literally can't put a blower in the correct location like the movie and still belt it up to work functionally.  So, some of those MM fans would rather have a perfect screen-copy in appearance than even have the blower work correctly!  (Just like how a lot of DOH fans would rather have drag-strip-illegal rollbars welded into their Chargers for the sake of looking TV-accurate.)

QuoteKeep it real Mike, you could pull into a local cruise with an orange paint job with 01 stickers, and everyone is saying it's a General Lee. Unless you pull in with a fully functional blown '70 Charger painted black, nobody will know what it's supposed to be.

I hear you, but I still think you're seeing this from a longtime Mopar fan's point of view rather than the target audience of F&F kids. 

I'll bet that if I pulled into a modern-car show in a rollcaged black 1970 Charger with ANYTHING mechanical sticking up through the hood (even just a cheap tunnel-ram intake & a similar type of chromed air cleaner to the movie), there would be plenty of recognition about what it was supposed to be.

My point is that movie-car nuts aren't necessarily gonna refrain from copying the F&F car just because they can't afford the real blown Hemi.  Maybe we'll see clones of it and maybe we won't, but give it time.  It also took a long time for the DOH fans to grow up & finally dump $30K into a lot of GL clones, but it definitely did happen eventually.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteThere were two movie cars I believe, the one with the 440 that was flipped/rolled, and then the real car that was in the garage. Then on top of that there were clones made for the Universal Studios theme parks. The hemi one from what I've gathered is "missing".

I've read there were four cars in a couple different sources.   I've counted four different rollcages during the movie footage.
I saw a fifth car at Universal Studios last year.  It was close, but it didn't 100% exactly match any of the cars in the film.

70charger_boy

It took people a good 20 years to care enough to clone a general lee.  I think if you pull up in a black and blown 70 charger the "kids" will know exactly what car you're cloning

Mike DC

Naw, not quite 20 years.  The shop that did the first 5 Georgia GLs was commissioned to build a clone within months of the show's beginning in late 1978.  There have been lots of clones ever since. 

The reason we've gotten such a boom lately is because the age group that was most into GLs as grade school kids has been hitting 33 years old and they've finally got the extra money to build them.  Talk to most of these owners, and they'll tell you about wanting to build one for many years beforehand but they didn't have the money yet.

Hot_Rodder

I'd like to have the one they showed in the garage, heck, I'll take any of them, but the blower has to be real :D. On a side note, not rying to get off subject, same thing in 2f&2f, with the Chally, the screen shot of the motor once in the garage, wasn't a Hemi like before. It was a wedge motor, either way, still a very nice car. :2thumbs:

Chris G.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 04, 2007, 08:44:34 PM
My point is that movie-car nuts aren't necessarily gonna refrain from copying the F&F car just because they can't afford the real blown Hemi.  Maybe we'll see clones of it and maybe we won't, but give it time.  It also took a long time for the DOH fans to grow up & finally dump $30K into a lot of GL clones, but it definitely did happen eventually.

I just can't see anyone actually driving a car with a plastic blower on the hood. I doubt the F&F car will ever be a big cloned car. The Dukes are in a class of their own. If the F&F car was gonna be a big clone hit, it probably would have happened by now. I haven't seen any by me or at shows throughout the country. Same with the Bullitt car, I have never seen one of those. It's a Dukes world, and I'm just a bystander.

ps- Mike if you have any articles or pics of the F&F car (or cars), please send them to me. I would like to do a page on the car.  :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 04, 2007, 08:44:34 PM

Just look at how many Mad Max clones have been done with fake blowers like the prop cars.  the lack of a real blower didn't "stop them" from building a MM replica, did it?    Some of those replicas are even purposely done with the fake blower because you literally can't put a blower in the correct location like the movie and still belt it up to work functionally.  So, some of those MM fans would rather have a perfect screen-copy in appearance than even have the blower work correctly! 

I know the dude with the only MM car with a functional blower...  I wouldn't call him a buddy but he's local.      The car sounds totally sick when it does run.   Typically it shows up at a show leaking something and then the next time you hear about how it blew a head gasket or something and you don't see it again till the next year.   I haven't seen it out since July.    I give it a 50/50 chance it's up at Lake George this week.

I see lots of cars with big reliability problems.   In my mind, blowers and or turbos just add to problems on street cars.   I'd rather just stick to NA stuff and keep it simple.   To each their own but it's pretty nice getting a car to a point where you can turn the key and go.

In the same vein of fake blowers...  there's a guy with a BBC T-bucket running around my town with a fake plastic Hilborn injection setup over top of a holley carb.  Apparently the dude paid some ridiculous amount of $ for this thing too.   But it fools a lot of people. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

QuoteI doubt the F&F car will ever be a big cloned car. The Dukes are in a class of their own. If the F&F car was gonna be a big clone hit, it probably would have happened by now.

I agree that it won't be like the GL.  Probably nothing else in the old car-hobby ever will even get close to that.

But I do think we'll see some F&F clones sooner or later.  And I'd be downright surprised if nobody ever builds at least one or two functional blown Hemi replicas.  They may not be in magazines & at the Mopar Nationals, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the DOH hobby, there's actually several hundred GL clones out there.  I'd call it 300 at the absolute minimum, probably 400-600 if you count the non-running & unfinished ones.  And yet you'll only see a handful of them at the largest Mopar gatherings.  Even "Dukesfest" can't pull more than about 100 so far, and that's with offering free admission & special treatment for the owners. 

When it comes to GLs or any other classic car, there are so many more out there than just the ones that show up at the big events.

Dodge Don

Not trying to favour a 70 but at least I would feel okay driving a blown black 70 'cus it's bad as hell.....but I will never be caught dead in a GL clown car....I'd be ashamed quite frankly.

I know that will annoy GL fanatics but it's just my opinion.

70charger_boy

I think the kids are saving up for their F&F 70 chargers.  The general lee's are all over the place like cockroaches.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the general lee's, but I'll rather make an F&F car.  I think the 70 charger is the most affordable charger out of the 2nd gens.  Just give it 10 years and they will be all over the place....like cockroaches

Ghoste

That's at least 20 more than I would have paid.  But then, that just me.

70charger_boy

Quote from: Ghoste on September 05, 2007, 07:25:16 PM
That's at least 20 more than I would have paid.  But then, that just me.

:iagree:

69charger2002

that's what my wife's car was based off of. of course it's not going to be to the little detail, but it will have a tunnel ram with the mr gasket polished scoop coming out of the hood. in a few months.. if i ever get the courage to cut the hood. or find another hood, cut it, then paint it black
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

greenpigs

QuoteTwo Lane Blacktop:  (the same) 55 Chevy vs 1971 GTO

It was a 70 GTO Judge, looks like I am the only closet Poncho person here.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

6670charger

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on September 03, 2007, 02:41:06 PM
I think the car is pretty much junk at this point :rotz:

I agree.  Would cost way more to repair than it would ever be worth...........unless you're a Died Hard FF fan and just have to have that car.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963