News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much do you think a naked '68 weighs?

Started by bull, September 06, 2007, 01:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm running the numbers on towing capacity for a few different rigs that I'm thinking of using to haul my Charger around and I need an idea of how much they might weigh minus the engine, trans, trim and interior? Basically the car still has the rear axle, front k-member (suspension and wheels and tires), side glass (no windshield or rear window) and just a few interior parts left such as the steering column, heater box and a few other small things under the dash. My guess is about 2,500 lbs., maybe a few hundred less. Any ideas?

Mike DC

bull

leeandgrant

I just got done delivering my friends 68 charger and it is a rolling shell. I would almost put $10.00 on saying it weighs between 2200lbs and 2500lbs.
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

Mike DC

Does this include a front clip & doors?  Glass?

leeandgrant

yes, everything but the radiator, engine, tranny, driveshaft and the seats. what do you plan on using to tow the car. what kind of trailer?
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

bull

I'm considering using either a 4.7 Durango or a 5.7 Hemi Jeep Cherokee. I know it might be kind of dicey (I'd probably rather use a 3/4-ton pickup) but it would be a fairly short trip (say 15 miles one way) and I'd probably take that trip 2-3 times at most. No hills and few corners.

What trailer? I don't know yet. Maybe a U-Haul car trailer. In many respects it's almost a wash cost-wise to just pay the $80 for a flat bed tow truck.

dodgecharger-fan

I'm not sure of the weight but I pulled my 69 Charger in pretty much the same state - minus glass and ALL interior though - with a 2002 Ford Explorer with a V8 and a class III tow package and it was a piece of cake.
I barely knew there was anything back there and it was my first time EVER towing anything. Went about 500 miles with it, checked the load 4 times along the way.

(The down side is that it built up my confidence enough to throw a complete 71 NYer back there.... totally different experience.  :eek2: )

poppa

For 15 miles I'd use my 96 S10,but Sat I took mine for body and paint about 150 miles and I used the company truck,06 f150.Piece of cake.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

JR

Here's my guess. A stock 2nd gen weighs somewhere inbetween 3700 and 3900 lbs.

A big block weighs 650-700 pounds.
A 727 weighs 150 at the most.
The driveshaft and seats may weigh 100 at the most.
The windshields probably weigh 25 lbs each.

So I'm betting it weighs somewhere around 2700 pounds with that logic, but that seems a little high. But then again, my 70 minus drivetrain weighs more than my complete 240sx.

2600,2700 pounds. Thats my final awnser Regis.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

The70RT

Last year I asked how much a completly stripped Charger weighed before I bought a rotissorie. Nobody gave an answer. Someone did say two people could pick it up and carry it. :smilielol: A regular person to me isn't a 350lb lineman though.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Troy

Quote from: JR on October 06, 2007, 09:01:38 AM
Here's my guess. A stock 2nd gen weighs somewhere inbetween 3700 and 3900 lbs.

A big block weighs 650-700 pounds.
A 727 weighs 150 at the most.
The driveshaft and seats may weigh 100 at the most.
The windshields probably weigh 25 lbs each.

So I'm betting it weighs somewhere around 2700 pounds with that logic, but that seems a little high. But then again, my 70 minus drivetrain weighs more than my complete 240sx.

2600,2700 pounds. Thats my final awnser Regis.
Have you picked up Charger seats? ;)

How about the console including top plates? The carpet/padding probably weighs in the neighborhood of 40 pounds and the door pads/panels/armrests are close to the same. The heater box is probably around 40-50 pounds and the gauge cluster and wiring harness is another 20 pounds or so. Don't forget to deduct the weight of all the other stuff attached to the engine or in the engine compartment - starter, alternator, radiator, fluids, master cylinder, power steering pump, exhaust manifolds, A/C (if equipped), battery, hoses, and wiring. I'd guess around 300+ pounds on average. If you remove all the window tracks and mechanisms with the glass then you'd save another 200 pounds or more (vent wings weighed about 30 pounds when I had them shipped). Don't forget all the dirt and crud that wasn't part of the car when new. I filled up 1/3rd of a 30 gallon shop vac when I cleaned mine.

My guess is that the body itself (rotisserie ready) weighs somewhere near 1,100-1,200 pounds so it may be easier to just add up the weight of the attached components. The front suspension with tires, wheels, spindles, control arms, torsion bars, k-frame, and power steering box is easily 400 pounds. If you leave the steering attached then the column and mechanisms are about 40-50 pounds. The rearend with springs, wheels, tires, and brakes is easily another 400 pounds. That puts a rolling shell somewhere around 2,000 pounds without the grill, bumpers, glass, and taillights. I have one of mine in this state (except no "guts" in the dash) so maybe I can run it down to the neighbor's scale when I have my trailer weighed.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: The70RT on October 06, 2007, 09:50:48 AM
Last year I asked how much a completly stripped Charger weighed beforwe I bought a rotissorie. Nobody gave an answer. Someone did say two people could pick it up and carry it. :smilielol: A regular person to me isn't a 350lb lineman though.
I watched 41husk and Cudaken load a couple of 440s onto my trailer when my hoist froze up (literally - it was 6 degrees). I doubt that me and any other person on the planet could pick up a Charger body. I guess it depends on your two people. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Troy on October 08, 2007, 10:57:31 AM
I have one of mine in this state (except no "guts" in the dash) so maybe I can run it down to the neighbor's scale when I have my trailer weighed.

Troy

That would be cool! I'm more curious now having talked about it here.

Rack

Quote from: bull on September 12, 2007, 02:43:38 AM
I'm considering using either a 4.7 Durango or a 5.7 Hemi Jeep Cherokee. I know it might be kind of dicey (I'd probably rather use a 3/4-ton pickup) but it would be a fairly short trip (say 15 miles one way) and I'd probably take that trip 2-3 times at most. No hills and few corners.

What trailer? I don't know yet. Maybe a U-Haul car trailer. In many respects it's almost a wash cost-wise to just pay the $80 for a flat bed tow truck.

You shouldn't have a problem if it's just a rolling shell.

I towed my charger (totally assembled) 150+ miles using my Ford F-150 w/no problems.

Rack

Quote from: The70RT on October 06, 2007, 09:50:48 AM
Last year I asked how much a completly stripped Charger weighed before I bought a rotissorie. Nobody gave an answer. Someone did say two people could pick it up and carry it. :smilielol: A regular person to me isn't a 350lb lineman though.

I've picked up both ends of my 68 charger (completely disassembled) several times. The back end is a PITA but I could hold it up for about 30 seconds on a good day. The front end is a piece of cake.

But then again I've always been a relatively strong guy, although not as strong as I use to be (unless you're talking about body odor).