News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rust

Started by MoparYoungGun, October 03, 2005, 07:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparYoungGun

I have two areas of rust that need to be addressed on my old Buick. Both areas are located between the front wheels and the front doors, one area on each fender. Basically, I need to know what the best way to fix each of these areas are. I was thinking that the best way would probably be to either cut out each section and fab up identical pieces then weld them in place or, just sand the areas down and then weld a patch I have fabbed over each area. Which do you think would be better? Is there another option that would be even better than the 2 I mentioned? Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks guys :cheers: !

Also, here are two pics of each area.

Drop Top

The best way is to take the fenders off the car. This way you can see what is happening on the back side. Strip the area down to bare steal. Then do as you said, cut out all the rusted area and replace with good metal. If the brace on the back side is bad you should replace that also. You didn't mention the year of the car but a compleat patch panel should be availably for it. A patch panel will come with a new brace also. By doing it this way may be a bit more work but the repair will last much longer. Plus in the long run it wil be easier to weld in the patch much easier if the fender is off the car.

MoparYoungGun

Thanks Drop Top, it's a '62 Buick. I know for a fact that a patch panel is not made for it and will have to be fabricated. Again, thanks for the help!