News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When to install subframe connectors?

Started by The70RT, December 29, 2007, 11:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

I have searched through the threads on subframe connectors on how they are installed etc. What I am trying to find out is do you have to have the car complete with everything together to install them? Some say yes you do. I seen a couple of peoples car with them on rotissorie though. I was hoping to do it on the rotisorie because that way when I paint it I wouldn't have to go back and spot paint where I welded. The only other way would be just bolt them in and it wouldn't mess up the paint but welding them in is bettter according to what I have read. How have you guys did it and how it worked out? Thanks.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Daytona R/T SE

I did mine on the rotisserie. Full speed ahead!

Rack

I've read that it's best to do it while the full load is on the car.

And - of course - I found that out after I had already dismantled my charger.

I'd really like some insight into this as well. I've got a rotissiere so maybe I'll just do it the way Daytona did it.

The70RT

I was thinking maybe it depends on how soild the car is and a solid one wouldn't flex as much. It's just like some say don't put the fenders & doors on the car when it is on a rotissorie and wait till the suspension is on.......but i see all kinds of people doing it so................. :confused:

NMike

wouldn't it be better to install on a rotisserie upside down? kinda like tensioning a guitar string.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: NMike on December 30, 2007, 12:00:21 PM
wouldn't it be better to install on a rotisserie upside down? kinda like tensioning a guitar string.

I like that theory.

I'll be doing it on the rotisserrie anyway, I don't really believe that extreme flexing stuff anyway, people always act like a car flexes 5 inches when it's on a rotisserie, forget it....

Just go ahead   :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger-Bodie

If done on a rotisserie this would be the best method in my opinion. I personally dont like to do any major metal work on the rotisserie .....on its own wheels and with most of its weight just makes more sense to me :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

The70RT

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 30, 2007, 04:00:26 PM

If done on a rotisserie this would be the best method in my opinion. I personally dont like to do any major metal work on the rotisserie .....on its own wheels and with most of its weight just makes more sense to me :Twocents:

So mounting doors and fenders is when on the rotisorie I take?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: The70RT on December 30, 2007, 04:54:26 PM

No , I would never mount panels on the rotisserie
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

The70RT

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 30, 2007, 04:59:08 PM
Quote from: The70RT on December 30, 2007, 04:54:26 PM

No , I would never mount panels on the rotisserie

Thanks

Silver R/T

I would install them while car is on the rotisserie. Other option is bolt-on ones, and you can install them at any time.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rack

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 30, 2007, 08:11:58 PM
I would install them while car is on the rotisserie. Other option is bolt-on ones, and you can install them at any time.

Seems like it would be a good idea to bolt them on when on the rotissiere then weld it up after you've got the full load back on it.

The70RT

Quote from: Rack on December 31, 2007, 04:59:44 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on December 30, 2007, 08:11:58 PM

Seems like it would be a good idea to bolt them on when on the rotissiere then weld it up after you've got the full load back on it.

I have bolt in ones but am gonna weld them too. If I wait till the car is put together then I will be laying on the flor doing it. Hopefully it will turn out ok to weld them on the rotissorie. I didn't have to replace any frame or floors besides the trunk so the car is pretty solid so hopefully won't be a difference after the car is put back together.

Daytona R/T SE

I welded subframe connectors in while the car was on the Rotisserie. The car is now back on it's suspension... doors,trunklid, fenders and hood all lined up well. No problems. Full speed ahead.

P.S. I also replaced the roof while it was on the rotisserie...Before I installed the subframe connectors....These cars are stiffer than some people think...

Rack

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 31, 2007, 09:03:25 AM
I welded subframe connectors in while the car was on the Rotisserie. The car is now back on it's suspension... doors,trunklid, fenders and hood all lined up well. No problems. Full speed ahead.

P.S. I also replaced the roof while it was on the rotisserie...Before I installed the subframe connectors....These cars are stiffer than some people think...

Awesome, now I feel more comfortable about putting them on while on the rotisserie. I'll be getting everythign out of the garage on wednesday to get everything lined up so I can drill the holes on the brackets. After that I'm good to go.

Question... should I weld on my subframe connectors before or after I get the car media blasted?

suntech

I would have it blasted in the area i am going work on the car. In this case it would be a 8 inch wide stripe on each side, where they are beeing welded on. Do this on the inside of the car also, to awoid that the old paint starts burning there. Spotweld , and allow everything to cool down, between welds. This way you will avoid warping.
Good luck
Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

The70RT

Quote from: Rack on January 01, 2008, 05:15:14 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 31, 2007, 09:03:25 AM

Awesome, now I feel more comfortable about putting them on while on the rotisserie. I'll be getting everythign out of the garage on wednesday to get everything lined up so I can drill the holes on the brackets. After that I'm good to go.

Question... should I weld on my subframe connectors before or after I get the car media blasted?

Same here. I had mne blasted first....not that should make a difference though.