News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

110v welder for replacing frame rails?

Started by toddscharger, January 19, 2008, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddscharger

Is a 110 volt Lincoln/Miller MIG welder with gas strong enough to replace rear frame rails?
I have both complete OEM rear frame rails from a donor car that I would like to use on my 70 Charger. Has anyone been sucessful and satisfied doing this job with a 110 volt MIG?
Thanks,
Todd

The70RT

That's plenty. Right now I am welding in torque boxes and they are thicker than the rails. I am using .035 wire. Your welding mostly to the this floors anyway and can easily bun holes in the floors if your not careful. I welded my trunk to the rails with .030 :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike DC

I've become a real fan of erring on the side of smaller wires and just cranking up the voltage a little more.  (I'm not advocating anything stupid like using .023 for DOM rollcage work, I just tend to go small whenever I'm on the fence about two sizes.)   

As long as you've got enough spare voltage on the machine to compensate, then using .023 wire on the thin floorpans & body panel sheetmetal is gonna be easier to control.  You can get a little more "surgical" with the wire feed than you can with the larger wires.