News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Show Advice

Started by taxspeaker, February 10, 2013, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

In 2 weeks in Louisville they are having the 50th annual Carl Casper Auto Show-a monster show of all makes/models/customs and new. We showed the Superbird and the Charger 3 years ago at this-right after I got the Superbird out of the museum it had been sitting in for 25 years. The Bird barely ran at the time and my knowledge of it was pretty poor, but there were literally hundreds of Chevys, Fords and other cars there, but only about 10 Mopars and our display was embarrassing. We had hundreds of people tell us they had never seen one in real life. We haven't shown either car since, but we are going back on the 22nd-24th and this time we don't want to be embarrassed again with a crappy display, particularly now that I've got my mind right on the Bird.

We have 4 people that will be with the cars, someone at all times, in a 20 x 20 booth with no Mopars around but us. They estimate 2,000 cars and 120,000 attendance. I bought some Mopar chairs and T shirts for all 4 of us but don't really know what else to do. Has anyone ever done one of these things on the cheap? I don't want to buy one of those fancy plastic floors, and I can bring some acceptable stanchions with that black pull-out line from the shop. I was looking online and it looks like some of the Ford guys do a 3-tape floor stripe as a divider around the booth. Mr. Casper's folks has put us at a main corner where thousands of people come in so anyone have any guidance?

pettybird

If you somehow feel that the Superbird isn't enough of a draw, I suggest you take it out more often. 

Posters/pictures/brochures are decent fodder.  checkered flag tablecloths are cheap.

Of course, parking a second one next to it is always best :)

Homerr

I just looked at some photos on their site, so it's a pretty big deal with the display.  I like the low shin-height barriers since they are good for photos (plus they can't get knocked over into the car).

What is your intent and how close are you comfortable having people get to the car?  I always like to be able to walk up to a car, but I know there are idiots, kids, touchy-feely types, etc. and it looks like this is an 'arms-length' type of show.

What ever you do - props for showing the car so deep in the middle of Chevy's and Fords, I'm sure yours will be a relief from them the monotony!

Alternatively:

Aero426

The car really is the star.   I am not big on elaborate displays, especially ones that take a lot of time to tear down when you want to get out of there on a Sunday night.    I might consider a carpet or bound rug to go underneath.    That is about it.    Tensabarriers like you described will work good for stanchions.   

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on February 11, 2013, 11:27:09 AM
I am not big on elaborate displays, especially ones that take a lot of time to tear down when you want to get out of there on a Sunday night.   

This.

Hemi Runner

I saw some nice ones that were home-made units. The had a piece of flat steel under the tire and a tube coming off the plate up and out at a 45 degree angle that held the ropes. Easy low buck and looked good.

68X426

I am not big on elaborate displays, especially ones that take a lot of time to tear down when you want to get out of there on a Sunday night.   

Girls are not an elaborate display. Tear down is easy when you want to get out of there on Sunday night.

:think:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

taxspeaker

Quote from: 68X426 on February 11, 2013, 02:32:16 PM

Girls are not an elaborate display. Tear down is easy when you want to get out of there on Sunday night.

:think:

What a great idea-but I am afraid they would be looking for a 6 pack and at my age even 2 4-barrels is out of reach, but a ThermoQuad might be able to be handled on Sunday night with the appropriate motivation. On the other hand, maybe after looking at the picture for a bit I no longer need their help