News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there such thing as using expanding foam in rockers?

Started by Mo Power, March 11, 2008, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

Ok well I'm in the process of replacing the passenger rockers since it was pretty much gone. And I've heard people using expanding foam to keep out materials  and gunk and was wondering where I could get it? Because I won't be able to replace the rear quarters till next year so I don't want anything getting past what I just fixed.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

69bronzeT5

Somebody used expanding foam in my right quarter..it aint too nice.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mike DC

The best way to keep the rockers clear is the original way that nobody really maintained well enough. 

Make the drainage pathways good.  And do some maintinence under there once in a while to keep the drainage channels/holes from getting jammed up. 

69 OUR/TEA

Drop a PM to RT/SE on this,this is something he knows alot about. :yesnod:     :popcrn:

Mo Power

So is the drainage area in the rear because with my car there isn't much left so I'm not exactly sure where the drainage holes are? And mine being a sunroof the water from the roof is what destroyed my passenger rocker in the first place. But if someone could post a pic of exactly where the drainage hole is because I know they don't have front holes.
1973 Charger SE

StockMan

I'm a fan of oiling inside the rockers so I wouldn't want it full of foam.  Rust check is a good product to prevent rust.

Mike DC

Good idea about the oil.  (Just don't go overboard with oil fumes & render the car a rolling pipe-bomb!)

When it comes to rust issues like this, you've gotta remember that the car's original rustproofing was dogsh*t and the early owners' drainage maintinence was probably non-existent.  You don't need to give it all a nuke-proof coating that mankind has never seen before.  You mainly just need to give it a decent modern protective coating, but get it EVERYWHERE, and then really keep the drain channels open in the future.

NMike

don't use expanding foam. it can trap water. not a good idea. i just use tons of cavity/creeping wax. i use so much that the first year, the car drips on hot days.this stuff is very sticky. you apply it with a long wand. just pop out the plugs and spray away.

gordo1968charger

Quote from: NMike on March 18, 2008, 12:24:53 AM
don't use expanding foam. it can trap water. not a good idea. i just use tons of cavity/creeping wax. i use so much that the first year, the car drips on hot days.this stuff is very sticky. you apply it with a long wand. just pop out the plugs and spray away.
i agree,expanding foam will just trap water.
the drainage holes are on the pinch/spot weld on the sills/rockers.if you look along there is a gap that is nt welded to let water escape.
or do what i do and do nt drive it in the wet.(as well as waxing the shit out of it)
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Mo Power

Alright thanks and well I relocated my drain tubes on the Runner to drain through the door jamb and out onto the doglegs to better reasure nothing rusts those rockers. And your saying using foam for anything wouldn't be the smartest choice so I'll wax or use the type of sprays your talking about.
1973 Charger SE

Mike DC

It took 20-40 years with little or no maintinence to rust the car.  Do a good job & keep it coated and you'll be all right.