News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do with my restoration???????

Started by Johnnys70SRT, April 02, 2009, 05:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys70SRT

Hello Everyone,
   Here is my situation. My car has been at the present bodyshop for over 3 years (June 5th will be 4 years). It started as a very SOLID California car. The only minor rust issues it had were under the vinyl top and trunk floor had some minor pitting due to leakage. The only piece of sheetmetal the car needed was the rear valance panel due to major damage.
  So far this is the sixth bodyshop tour and the car is still not completed. The car has been blocked 17 times and other than scuffing the interior, and minor prepping of the body, it is ready for paint. It has been at this stage since February 2008. The current shop did have to move during this time, so I did not press the time issue, due to their circumstances. I was told it would be done by May 2008, then November 2008, and finally March 2009, but still there is no forward progress.
I have given this shop $4000.00 of my money already. All they have done to the car is fill the annoying dents, fixed the roof joints, and stitched the rear valance panel in. Now the car just sits idle, but I see other project cars coming in and getting completed. So now I'm really pi$$&@ off.  :RantExplode: The owner says he can't promise me any kind of finish date because of other things going on in the shop that pay the monthly bills.
I don't really want to change shops for the 7th time, but if I can't get anywhere with this character I think I have no other choice. I have contacted another shop and showed them pictures of the car. They said they could have the car completed in less than 90 days. What is your opinion on what I should do? I'm just looking for some guidance here cause I'm really overwhelmed by the whole thing. I sure wish I knew how to do body & paint work cause I could have had it completed by now.
Thanks for your input!!

69bronzeT5

If your not happy with the current shop, switch shops then. :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Magnumcharger

Sorry to hear of your circumstances.
It seems that you're in the same type of pickle a lot of other members on this board find themselves in.
If you do a bit of searching here, you'll see these threads, and the conclusion of these other peoples problems.

Myself, I believe your problems began the moment you made a 4K downpayment. That money got spent by the shop owner immediately, and not on YOUR Charger.
Now there's no motivation for him to continue.

But you probably already know all of this, don't you?

What would I do? Pull the car out of his shop NOW!
Get a few estimates from other shops.
Then take him to court.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69*F5*SE

:iagree:   Yank the car out of there and take them to court. 

GL#10

Hey

Pull it from the shop , they will just keep feeding you the same line , it will never be done , find another shop that wants your business .

K.c

y3chargerrt

Bummer about your ordeal. The shop I used had a resto side and a collision side so my Charger didn't get pushed to the side. I put it in 12/1/02 and got it back 7/1/03. Yes it ended up costing way more then I hoped but they got it done. Goodluck!

1BAD68

Pull your car and then sue them.
Take lots of photo's for court.

Johnnys70SRT

Well looks like everyone agrees that it's time to move on. Seems like I have hit a brick wall with the current shop.
I gave him the $4,000.00 in $1,000.00 increments to keep them moving on the car. After the last $1,000.00 I told him he would not receive anymore money until the car was completed. Seems like these bodyshops think they have a blank check they can write to themselves at any time with these older project cars. Unfortunately, we as the owners are the people that suffer.
He best have all the documentation of the work that was performed on my car, because I am expecting to get money back. There was not $4,000.00 worth of bodywork performed on this car. I'm taking my video camera on Tuesday 4/7/2009 to take video of the current state of the car. Also bringing a truck and trailer to get it the heck out of there. Enough is enough already. I just hope that the new shop (7th one) I take it to, keeps their promise and finishes my car once and for all, in a timely manner.
Thanks for all the responses. I knew what my decision was but wanted to get some outside opinions. So all of you have reinforced my decision.
Someday I might actually be able to post pictures of my completed Charger. Thanks again everyone. :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: Johnnys70SRT on April 03, 2009, 09:12:46 AM
Well looks like everyone agrees that it's time to move on. Seems like I have hit a brick wall with the current shop.
I gave him the $4,000.00 in $1,000.00 increments to keep them moving on the car. After the last $1,000.00 I told him he would not receive anymore money until the car was completed. Seems like these bodyshops think they have a blank check they can write to themselves at any time with these older project cars. Unfortunately, we as the owners are the people that suffer.
He best have all the documentation of the work that was performed on my car, because I am expecting to get money back. There was not $4,000.00 worth of bodywork performed on this car. I'm taking my video camera on Tuesday 4/7/2009 to take video of the current state of the car. Also bringing a truck and trailer to get it the heck out of there. Enough is enough already. I just hope that the new shop (7th one) I take it to, keeps their promise and finishes my car once and for all, in a timely manner.
Thanks for all the responses. I knew what my decision was but wanted to get some outside opinions. So all of you have reinforced my decision.
Someday I might actually be able to post pictures of my completed Charger. Thanks again everyone. :2thumbs:
sorry man this is a very common story and common happening .   I have been in your same situation .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Scatpack

I feel your pain. I get tired of dishonest jerks that dont do the work once they get paid in advanced, been there done that. I learned never to give them more than 25% and pay in increments when progress is made.

http://community.webshots.com/user/moooboy
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383Hp,# match
70 Dodge PU 383 Adventurer
02 F250 SuperCab LB 4X4 7.3, 6 speed manual
06 Dodge Magnum SXT
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3
Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 ATV
Ford 1510 Diesel 4x4 Tractor
AQHA QuarterHorse,1HP,Very Fast

Sublime/Sixpack

I suggest when you go to video the car and remove it from their shop you take atleast one maybe two witnesses with you.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

rich4406bbl

All of these body shop stories seem to always end in frustration and disappointment. I'm starting to think that it might be better off taking some night classes in body work at the local vocational school learn how to do it and do it myself when it's time to restore my Charger. The results may not be concourse show winning but at least you know you're not being ripped off. I think that most body work is really just to be patient and go slowly to get the desired results. Of course, it is a skill and requires a good eye and some people are better at it than others but with all of the ripoff artists out there why take a chance and spend alot of money to be screwed or get a half assed job that needs to be redone?

68RRFlyer

Wow, that's too bad. :rotz:  That's exaclty how I operate my shop; a small deposit required, then I bill after I do the work so you know you're paying for work done...not empty promises.  Yank the car out, and take a friend or three with you to witness everything.  Good luck!

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

terrible one

Hahaha go in there with your video camera and while videotaping everything be like "anyways Youtube users this is the shop that has had my Charger and done nothing to it in blah blah blah years so if you want a reference call me at . . ." LMAO. In all seriousness though, I feel for you there, as as everyone has said you definitely aren't the only one, but damn I wouldn't be able to help myself from doing something like that to such scum. :nana:

Back N Black

Most shops out there do not want to take on a car half done by another shop. They don't want to put their name on some other shops work. What if the paint blisters in 6 months, who are you going to blame. I hope you do find a good reputable shop.

NHCharger

I agree with the others, yank the car. Your idea of a video camera is a good idea, and as you said, demand some documentation showing what was done to the car. If he charges $40.00/hour he can probably show two weeks worth of work and some misc. shop material to cover his ass.
Pay a friend 20 bucks to dress in a three piece suit and accompany you to the shop. Tell them he's your lawyer and he wanted a first hand look before you take legal action. That might buy you some money back.   
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Old Moparz

Another sad horror story. ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Bobs69

Yeah that would be overwhelming.  I like the idea of taking someone with you in a 3 piece suit.  Someone well spoken that may take some notes and pictures.   

A friend mentioned to me once, (I think he said), that you could make arrangments with a bank to pay in installments once the job has been completed at certain stages?  Guess he meant to do that on your own, still a decent idea I think................But I'd want to be clear on the quality.

I hate these assholes, either he isn't a dodge man or the job is just to much for him and he doesn't have the skill to finish it.

Also I'd want to be DAMNED sure that the other shop will finish the other guys work.  Or are you going to get this bullshit that they did it wrong and they will do the best to work with existing body work

I don't like the products they used
I don't know whats under their product
We can do our work but our paint may react with their primer or body work.

And who knows what other excuses.  I was once told that body work is a "trendy business".  Sounds like you had a hell of a good car to start with.

NMike

give the next shop post dated checks. if they don't do work in that period, cancel the check.