News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How did you guys mount your aftermarket cd player

Started by Lee A, July 11, 2009, 08:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee A

I want to put it in my dash but there is such a big hole can you get a bracket or something and don't say paddock because I already have a cd player just want to mount it in there with out it fall in or out
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

UFO

Highly doubt there's a adapter out there to buy.
I say you gonna have to make one.Use cardboard to make a template,transfer to a pce of sheet metal.Might even be able to adjust it so the deck's face plate will sit on top of the orig faceplate nicely.This works great if have a extra plate because it will have to be cut.

2Gunz

I cut my original radio plate to the size of the radio.

Then heated it up a bit to flaten it out some.

b5blue

I just saw Year One sells a DIN faceplate for 2nd gen cars.

Foreman72

i kno in my 72 i think i'm just gonna break down and cut the dash...i don't know yet...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

C_stripes

Get out the sawsall. lol. I hate when people cut the dash.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

ramairthree

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7euxXt0jE4

CDs are what the kids are calling those rectangular plastic things that play music now, right?

Foreman72

Quote from: ramairthree on July 12, 2009, 07:13:49 PM
Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7euxXt0jE4

CDs are what the kids are calling those rectangular plastic things that play music now, right?

haha...thank you sir... :lol:

well c_stripes i don't really know where else to put it...i wsa going to try and find one of the tape deck units with the recorder, you know, the option one...and retrofit that but it won't work with a B&M on the floor and a bench...i can't find a better place...any suggestions :shruggy:

Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

NHCharger

I mounted mine under the dash on the passenger side. Bent a piece of aluminum and painted it black to encase it. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.
They ain't making anymore rallye dashes, so I just couldn't cut the dash.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Foreman72

Quote from: NHCharger on July 14, 2009, 08:41:47 PM
I mounted mine under the dash on the passenger side. Bent a piece of aluminum and painted it black to encase it. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.
They ain't making anymore rallye dashes, so I just couldn't cut the dash.

those pics should be helpful...thanks man

not cutting the dash mean i have to restore/replace the factory radio too...at least to visual specs...it doesn't have to work, just look good... :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

NHCharger

Here's a pic of my cassette player. It was made to go in the dash but I like I said earlier, didn't want to cut the car.

BTW Foreman, I have an extra radio kicking around my shop somewhere. It looks perfect and I believe it even works. 71Chargerfan gave it to me several years ago, figured I'd hold onto it until someone needed it. It's yours if you want it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mauve66

i got a plastic case from somewhere and just installed the radio in it, of course that was back in 94 or so so i don't know if anyone makes these cases anymore

the red and green lights were for the overdrive
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Foreman72

Quote from: NHCharger on July 15, 2009, 07:29:04 PM
Here's a pic of my cassette player. It was made to go in the dash but I like I said earlier, didn't want to cut the car.

BTW Foreman, I have an extra radio kicking around my shop somewhere. It looks perfect and I believe it even works. 71Chargerfan gave it to me several years ago, figured I'd hold onto it until someone needed it. It's yours if you want it.

thanks man! PM :cheers:

and as far as your mounting location, i like it...its clean and accessible...still worried about getting to it with the B&M on the floor...any issues with it so far? how did you go about mounting it? did you make the box?

hey who signed the glovebox, i like that alot, i started a thread about unique ways of signing your car and i like that one... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Just 6T9 CHGR

The under dash mounting kit is still available @ Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120999000/Universal-Underdash-Kit.html?tp=1114

I ran mine in the same location as mauve66 did for a while...directly above the console.

I have since moved it to inside the glove box  (flipped the mounting box upside down & mounted it to the floor of the box....had to cut out the back of the box to get it to fit where I wanted it.
Using a Sony CD player radio that accepts a wired remote....ran the wire up into the console to store the remote
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Foreman72

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 16, 2009, 08:33:51 AM
The under dash mounting kit is still available @ Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120999000/Universal-Underdash-Kit.html?tp=1114

I ran mine in the same location as mauve66 did for a while...directly above the console.

I have since moved it to inside the glove box  (flipped the mounting box upside down & mounted it to the floor of the box....had to cut out the back of the box to get it to fit where I wanted it.
Using a Sony CD player radio that accepts a wired remote....ran the wire up into the console to store the remote

nifty...i have a wireless remote with my pioneer deck that i could do something similar with...somehow.. :scratchchin:
Eric "Foreman"

NHCharger

Only problem I have is I don't like to lean over to fiddle with the knobs or tape while driving.
I made the box, I have a brake for bending light gauge metal.
I've seen several cars with the radio in the glove box with a remote. That's by far the cleanest way to do it.

Buddy Baker signed my glove box. He was at Carlisle 4 or 5 years ago.

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Foreman72

Quote from: NHCharger on July 16, 2009, 11:12:17 AM
Only problem I have is I don't like to lean over to fiddle with the knobs or tape while driving.
I made the box, I have a brake for bending light gauge metal.
I've seen several cars with the radio in the glove box with a remote. That's by far the cleanest way to do it.

Buddy Baker signed my glove box. He was at Carlisle 4 or 5 years ago.

thats awesome...

yeah that one on crutchfield looks pretty good...

the only thing is i'd kinda like to still use my glovebox.. :shruggy:

its up in the air, we'll see what happens
Eric "Foreman"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Moparsky67

Here is another choice for an under dash mount of a DIN radio, a Dan Fink Metalworks radio box, sold by Yogi's Inc (see links below). They sell two sizes, med for $28 & large for $31;

Yogi's @  http://www.yogisinc.com/results.cfm/-/Category=32/search_cd=radio%20box/results.cfm

Dan Fink @   http://www.danfinkmetalworks.com/RadioBoxes.htm

Hope this may help you.

John

starai73racing

i would put it in the glove box to keep the original look.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 16, 2009, 11:30:59 AM
George Barris signed my sunvisor ;)

George Barris signed my armrest...well an extra one ;) With the Charger, I plan on putting a CD player straight into the dash with the original radio is. The car is not going to be stock so it won't bug me. The Duster though is a different story, apperentley with A-bodies, it's super hard to get a CD player into the stock spot on the dash without chopping the dash. So I'm not sure where I will put that yet.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

A383Wing

I just put one in the cream 66....has remote control, USB port, CD player...it probably won't stay...I installed it just for the trip to Oregon next month if we go

tab73

I just ordered one of these to put in my Daughters 78 pickup. That way I can see it and know how it will fit in my charger! This website is wonderful we were trying to figure out how to bend metal to make a bracket! Should have know somebody thought of this along time ago. I am still trying to reinvent the wheel. Just wanted to say how helpful this site is.
Love me some Charger Baby!! And no you cant touch it.

bull

This doesn't answer your question directly but I don't see any sense in messing with CD players now that you can easily plumb an MP3 jack into pretty much any stereo system, including factory radios.