News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Primer colors

Started by 66FBCharger, May 20, 2013, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What color(s) of primer did Chrysler prime the bodies in '69. Were they different plant to plant? Do different color primers affect the final shade of the paint color?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Patronus

Yes, the primer color (or sealer) will change the way the color views. Some may say slightly, but it certainly will. Most data sheets will recommend a color to be used, generally it will be the closest to the final shade. What color were you thinking?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

66FBCharger

T5.
i would imagine the color would look slightly lighter with a light gray primer vs. a reddish primer.
I was just wondering if the factory used one color primer no matter what color the top coat was.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Hudson Hornet !

Whatever paint manufacturer you go with, I would definetly use a sealer in between the primer and color.  For instance DuPont Chromabase uses a ValueShade system of seven different sealers for various colors. VS-1 is bright white, and VS 7 is charcoal grey with the others being in between.

On the color itself, the ValueShade required will be printed right on the label so there is no mistake. Using the proper color sealer will improve your chances of the correct shade of color that you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !