News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans wont shift when cold

Started by 400/6/PAC, September 22, 2009, 08:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

I have a 400 motor and 727 transmission with manual shift kit.
When I try to shift from 1st to 2ND the car really bogs down and I have to go back to 1st.
I tried going from 1st to 3rd and it works fine.The funny thing is, From 3rd I can down shift to 2ND and it works fine, After that 2ND works normal.
Its like it only does this when its cold. Once it warms up everything works normal. :shruggy:
Any ideas what might be going on?
Could it just be the shift cable.
Thanks for any advise.

turbobitt

It sounds like the low/reverse servo is sticking for some reason. In manual low, the low reverse band applies and must release before applying the 2nd gear/Kickdown band. You may want to check and see if there are any signs of the servo cocking in the bore and also if it has a HD spring installed. Another thing to check is the feed hole for the low reverse servo in the VB seperator plate that mates to the case. Should be something like 3/16.  If it is a newer VB in an older case, there may be some passage miss-match due to added check ball feature in the new VB.

400/6/PAC

Yes
It does feel like its trying to go into reverse.
Even made the tires squill Yesterday when I was trying to test it.
Scared to drive it anymore untill I get it fixed.