News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I have a Vaccum leak ?? Or something else.

Started by Canadian1968, November 03, 2012, 03:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

So I just got finished putting a new engine wiring harness and upgrading to to a 2 Fld. Alternator with an Electronic Regulator.

While I was waiting for parts I pulled the carb off and had it rebuilt by a friend of mine. I also pulled the intake manifold and had it hot tanked and cleaned up.

The carb was super dirty , the whole top of the carb was black ( had previous ignition problem ). When my friend pulled the carb part he said that one idle mixture was 1-1/2 turns out and the other was only 1/2 a turn out.  The car had been at a shop getting a new floor put in it, and owner had told me that he had tuned it a bit so I am assuming thats who made these adjustments.

Now the car was actually running pretty good with those settings I had installed a MP eletronic ignition conversion on it and it made an hour long trip with no problems, and idled at approx 800RPM.

NOw everything back on. The car will not idle. The friend who rebuilt the car was with me last night as we tried to get it to run. We have to turn the idle screws way out (4 turns ) and have the idle speed screw opend up pretty good. More or less need to keep your foot on it to keep it running.

If you hit the throttle a little , it will rev up and hang there for a bit , then slowly come back down, if you don't hit the gas again it will die.

There is no back fire, it runs pretty smooth with some gas but will not idle.

Timing has not been touched, the carb is a Holley 750 Dual feed.

Does this sounds like a leak from the intake possibly? Or do I need to adjust the timing ???

cdr

sounds like a vac leak,possible wrong gasket between base & main body ,float level to low
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

Lets start with the simple stuff first, as it could be anything.  Have you double checked every vacuum connection and associated hose?  PCV hose hooked up to the back of the carb? power brakes,  other carb/intake vacuum takeoffs plugged or hooked up with good hoses....?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph