News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for those using BeCool aluminum radiators...>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, November 29, 2005, 10:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

I've got a "69 Charger w/a 383 and had installed a 26" BeCool direct replacement rad (using the adapter brackets BeCool offers).

No problems with the install, but there are some complications now.

Apparently all 3 motor/trans. mounts were sheared (don't ask) when the rad was installed, and now that they are fixed, the guy doing the work says the MP viscous fan setup won't clear the rad.

He's saying I'm going to have to go w/an electric fan set up, but I'm not so sure.

I need to know if anyone else with a MP 5-blade viscous fan (or equivalent) has had this problem with their BeCool rad.

I don't have any pix, as the car is at the resto shop currently.

Sounds weird to me, as I know at least a couple people using the same rad without problems, but just thought I'd check and see.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

dkn1997

yep, your guy is right.  the MP viscous fan package did not clear the rad when I tried to use it with the 440 in my charger.  I had the problem with a recored stock rad and the be cool 22" that's in there now.  you can get a shorter fan clutch from

www.bobmazzoliniracing.com   

they call it a maxwedge fan clutch.  it's big bucks, like 80 or something.  After i bought mine, i saw a thread over at moparts where they list a couple of parts store generic clutches that are just as short, and only about 20 bucks.  do a search over there, you will definately find it and a part number listed for it.

I still have not put mine on yet because I was impatient and just bought a fixed flex fan.  but i do plan on installing it.  it's at least 1.5" shorter than the MP piece.
RECHRGED

CFMopar

why not just run an electric? Pull a couple from a junkyard probley be cheaper.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

dkn1997

electric would be cool,pun intended,  but in this case, he could probablyl spend 20 or 30 bucks and bolt it in. 
RECHRGED

Johnny SixPack

DKN, thanks a lot for that info. :2thumbs:

I'll definitely check out MoParts for info on the shorter clutch.

TM, I may end up going electric in the end, but that shop is quoting me $400 and some change for an electric fan set up.

That's f'ing crazy, so I'd much rather go with the cheap bolt on fix for now and tackle the electric setup myself sometime in the future.

Thanks again, guys! :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

golden73

What temp are you running right now with just the BeCool rad?

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: golden73 on November 30, 2005, 02:05:57 AM
What temp are you running right now with just the BeCool rad?

Hasn't been run since the mounts were fixed.

That's when the mechanic noticed the clearance issues.

If you meant before (when the fan was on), it averaged about 160* - 170* w/no stat.

Of course that's using a 36 yr old gauge. :D
Johnny's Herd:

CFMopar

dkn1997

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on November 30, 2005, 11:06:12 AM
If you do a junk yard set up it wont cost 400

agreed.  you could even get a top of the line set of spal fans brand new for less than that.  check over at moparts on that too.  lots of guy over there have experimented with different junk yard fans.  Ford seems to be the choice.  guys have said the taurus fan works well and also the mark VIII fan. 

this all depends on if you are capable of doing it yourself or if you have the time.  odds are that your guy does not even know about the shorter fan clutch.
RECHRGED

CFMopar

I know a guy who used the two fans from a plymouth voyager made a shroud with abs sheet plastic. Works real nice

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: dkn1997 on November 30, 2005, 12:23:01 PM
Quote from: Thread_Marshal on November 30, 2005, 11:06:12 AM
If you do a junk yard set up it wont cost 400

odds are that your guy does not even know about the shorter fan clutch.

DKN, he knew.

Talked to the guy who's shop it was originally at, and he told me that he had informed the mechanic about the shorter clutch.

So this guy either forgot, or wanted to make some extra money.

Thanks for the tips on the electric fans, guys.

I'll definitely be going that route in the future, but just want the car on the road for the least amount of money right now.
Johnny's Herd:

dkn1997

copied from moparts tech archives:

Went down to the local Autozone store and looked thru their clutch fans. Found an Imperial Part Number 215080 that measures 2 1/8" out from the water pump flange. People have been looking for one like this, so I thought I'd share my find. I haven't had a chance to try it, but it did look like a sure bet that it will work for me. I only have about 3" of clearance between water pump flange and the radiator.
One other clutch I found was the Torgflo Part Number 215081 that measured 2 1/4" out.

RECHRGED

is_it_EVER_done?

If you can get a photo of the interference problems, please post them. The reason I ask is that I have a MP thermal fan/clutch setup that I have to use a 1" spacer on to get it close enough to the radiator (Be Cool 31"), however I hear all the time about this setup not working on others cars (Chargers and/or other B-body's) I'm interested as to what the difference is? The only thing I can think is that mine is 4+ years old and maybe the clutch was changed on newer ones.

As far as using electric fans, the twin fan setups clear, but many single fans won't, at least on setups that have the shroud integrated with the fans. The JY is the best source, but if you don't want to hunt a set down yourself (how could anyone not love going to the JY?), Ebay has sets all the time for reasonable. Depending on what area of the country you live in, you can also go with a pair of 10" or 11" electrics that mount directly to the radiator without a shroud. However if you live in the Southwest as I do, they won’t be adequate without a shroud in the Summer.

BigBlockSam

if you go electric there are other things that have to be taken into consideration.
you need a big alt. if your gonna run a stereo and other things that pull amps , your fan will slow down and not cool as well. a good batt with alot of reserve. same reason as above.
a big block takes alot of cfm's to keep it cool. so you need a big electric fan with shroud.
  my advice is find short clutch for your fan and make it work. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Johnny SixPack

***Update***

Well, went by the shop, and there is a serious clearance issue.

The MP 5-blade viscous fan clutch is pretty damn short to begin with, and since the guys already ordered a single fan and shroud, I'm going that route.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but will most definitely be asking about the alternator angle (thanks a ton for that info, Sam! :2thumbs:).

Man, it's funny... I got ZERO responses on MoParts (with 50+ views), but found all my info here. :cheers:

Johnny's Herd:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chryco Psycho

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: dkn1997 on November 30, 2005, 03:22:16 PM
copied from moparts tech archives:

Went down to the local Autozone store and looked thru their clutch fans. Found an Imperial Part Number 215080 that measures 2 1/8" out from the water pump flange. People have been looking for one like this, so I thought I'd share my find. I haven't had a chance to try it, but it did look like a sure bet that it will work for me. I only have about 3" of clearance between water pump flange and the radiator.
One other clutch I found was the Torgflo Part Number 215081 that measured 2 1/4" out.

The right numbers to look for the thinnest clutch fan is a Hayden 2765 or Imperial 215018 which are for a Jaguar.
That's what I got.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.