News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger 500 Tail Lights... Thought I would share...

Started by haueter66, December 02, 2005, 10:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haueter66

Ok.  So I am not sure if this is correct or not.  I know the R/T would have had the grayish color discussed before... I believe these to be the original color (close anyway)... if they are not correct for 71 then I am fairly sure they would at least be correct for a 72 rallye ... I am sure someone will chime in and let everyone know for sure what is correct... I just wanted to share my experience... the picture really does not do the bezels justice.

I sandblasted them clean, etch primed, scuffed and then painted with the paint pictured.  Just my  :Twocents:

TruckDriver

'71s were silver, '72s were all black. Wanna redo mine now?, They look great.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

haueter66

lol ... nothing to it man... just need a sandblaster... and some free time :)

parkerswede

I have a 1972 Charger Rallye. So the back lights should be black as shown? not silver? Where did you get the paint shown? Thanks.

haueter66

I bought the paint at my local bodyshop supply store...  I imagine you could get it at any similar place... I think that is correct, that all 72's were black... but you see alot of black ones on 71's even if it isnt correct it seems common

haueter66

I went with black for my 71 because (1) They were black already when I bought it and (2) My car is not a numbers matching or special really in any way and I like the way they look  ;D

I figure I can always repaint them silver... if I change my mind later on...

Oh, just a quick side note on these style of tail lights... 10 years ago (my first carlisle in 1996) these lights were selling cheap.  Seriously around $200 for a super nice set... now i see just the bezels bringing $200 on ebay and a complete set upwards of $500... no point here really just ranting and wishing I had bought them all back then  :icon_smile_evil:

Goldfinger71

I beleive 71's with rubber bumpers came with the tailight louvered panel painted black.A non rubber bumper car came with them painted gray and silver..I don't know the paint codes :((I beleive gray(argent? was the main color and the silver was painted around the edges with black painted in the tail light lense surrounds.Most people just spray staight gray or silver and don't do the black area becuase it is a very tedious job!..(ask me how I know! :icon_smile_wink:)
The 72 Rallyes were tailight panel were painted all black.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!