News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the correct radiator for my bird?

Started by hotrod98, July 02, 2010, 08:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I removed the radiator from my bird a couple of weeks ago and installed an aftermarket one for now.
The one that I pulled out had a part number that ended in 055. Is that correct for a 4-speed 440 car? If not, what is the correct part number?
The tanks look good and I was hoping to get it recored if it's the correct one.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

tan top

i have the original radiator on my charger & is a 26" 055 ,  the 055 is on the broadcast sheet also ,  think the part numbers were different in 70 model year  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pettybird

hotrod98

That means I better get to looking. Lots of questions.
Any suggestions on how I should go about finding one?
Were they only on Superbirds or were they on other cars as well?
Anyone have any experience with Glen-Ray radiators?
As I replace items on the car, I want to try to get the correct stuff for the car whenever possible. That is when I can afford the correct stuff. ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 02, 2010, 09:57:23 AM
As I replace items on the car, I want to try to get the correct stuff for the car whenever possible. That is when I can afford the correct stuff. ;D
paul  pocketthunder , has said great things about glen-ray  . I bought a shroud from them  :icon_smile_big: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

62 Max

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 02, 2010, 09:57:23 AM

Any 70 B/E body with N51 max cooling package or A13 axle package.Start saving your pennies,they are not cheap.

pettybird

get one from Glen-Ray and talk to Bob.  They're $1250 to the public, $1000 to dealers.  They're mint with no dings in the tanks, bent fins, etc.  They fit perfectly. 

Bob's a great guy who knows WAY too much about Mopar radiators, too.

hotrod98

When I say that I'll buy the stuff that I can afford, I'm mainly referring to paying $500 for a correctly coded fan belt, etc. This car doesn't need that. If I started spending that kind of cash on this car, I might just have to start parking it inside.  :coolgleamA:

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 02, 2010, 07:51:37 PM
When I say that I'll buy the stuff that I can afford, I'm mainly referring to paying $500 for a correctly coded fan belt, etc. This car doesn't need that. If I started spending that kind of cash on this car, I might just have to start parking it inside.  :coolgleamA:

psh...like we can afford to do that... ::)

do you have the wrong mopar radiator, or do you have a taiwan special with the ugly top tank?  that would sway where I'd put my money. 

DAY CLONA

Larry,...while the Glen-Ray is a nice peice, looks 100% correct, and functions just as well, I agree the $1000" price tag is hard to swallow,....I've used the US radiators restoration line radiators using the Micro-Tube cores, generally around $280-$350 depending on application, be sure to run a factory shroud, I recommend a solid direct drive fan blade (factory), no clutch fan!....only complaint I have with US radiators is the "clocking" of the radiator cap tangs, the cap's ears when installed sit at off centered location, looks like your cap is not locked in place?....minor annoyance

I would recommend, esp for a wingcar as they tend to run a tad warmer, that you start off by flushing the system completely, run a 50/50 mix water and ZEREX  G-05( ZEREX brand only) antifreeze along with one 8-10 .oz bottle of REDLINE waterwetter (avaliable from most Autozone/NAPA stores)........the Zerex G-05 is intended for cars running "green antifreeze", it's not to be confused with Dexcool, which is crap!

I've had excellent results running the Zerex G-05 and REDLINE for many YEARS in MOPARS, not just Wingcars

Mike

Charger-Bodie

Another vote for Bob at Glen-Ray.......Top-notch radiators,and top-notch service too. Plus Ive been told that his cool even better than most others because of the very high quality core he uses in his max cool radiators. Thats what I have in mine and time will tell on that one.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hotrod98

Thanks Mike. I don't know what the brand of my radiator is. I think the box had Modine written on it. I threw it away without thinking. I've been buying parts for a while for my Tor-Red 71 Cuda and this radiator was stored with the car. I just happened to remember that I had it and realized that it was the correct size radiator for the bird. For now I have a 224 fan, but I'm looking for a 223 to replace it. I also have the auxiliary electric fan set up with a 180 thermostat. I do have the correct shroud that was also bought for the 71 Cuda.  I drove it around Branson at the wing car gathering in heavy traffic at over 90 degree temps and I had no problems. I figure that since I'll have to replace the radiator borrowed from the Cuda I might as well get the correct one for the bird.
I've created quite a following with the black bird lately. We took the limelight Cuda to the cruise-in Thursday night and all everyone wanted to know was where the bird was.
We're having a blast with it. I'm very glad that I went ahead and bought this one. Other than the fuel injected Cuda, it's the best running and driving musclecar that I've owned.

Charles Addams

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings,

If you want something that is not "technically" correct but was done by the factory - you may want to consider finding a 2998 965 radiator.  I believe this was the C body max cooling.  I have seen about half a dozen Superbirds with a C body core and tanks that have had B body brackets installed on them and a 2998 956 tag soldered over the top of the 2998 965 stamping.  This must have been something the supplier or factory did when it had too many of one radiator and not enough of another.  There is almost no difference in the tanks and I think the core on the C body is only 1/2 inch taller.  Otherwise they are the same.

The last time I tried to load some photos it did not work but I will try to add some from a 965 radiator that had a 3443 959 1971 tag.  Also, I have a photo of a Superbird I took at MATS with this "over-tag" on it.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

hotrod98

Seems like I saw a radiator with a tag soldered on it at the wing car meet. The tag wasn't trimmed up as nice as the one in your pic though. I wondered what that was all about.

Charles Addams

Alaskan_TA

pettybird

side note--that 2949055 radiator is worth money.  it's a max cool B body radiator for 1969 4 speed cars.  that puts the 956 a lot closer to affordable. 

hotrod98

The 055 radiator was working, but it has had one repair and looks a little green around the edges. I've been driving the bird quite a bit and didn't totally trust it. That's why I decided to change it out.

I have a few 69 cars so I probably should hold onto it for a future project.

I don't have a problem spending big money on a radiator that's correct for my car as long as it's a quality piece. The quality of the part exceeds the correctness of the part in my book since I drive my bird on a regular basis. I had a friend of mine spend big bucks on redline tires for his Runner and they lasted less than a year. I have a problem with that scenario.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 04, 2010, 01:09:14 PM
The 055 radiator was working, but it has had one repair and looks a little green around the edges. I've been driving the bird quite a bit and didn't totally trust it. That's why I decided to change it out.

I have a few 69 cars so I probably should hold onto it for a future project.

I don't have a problem spending big money on a radiator that's correct for my car as long as it's a quality piece. The quality of the part exceeds the correctness of the part in my book since I drive my bird on a regular basis. I had a friend of mine spend big bucks on redline tires for his Runner and they lasted less than a year. I have a problem with that scenario.

good 'ol Coker tire. 

quality redlines come from diamondback where they actually vulcanize a striped sidewall onto a modern tire.  so, well-reviewed firestone indy 500 tires get any width stripe you like. 

hotrod98

Doug, that's good to know. I would never use bias ply tires for any reason.

Charles Addams

superbirdtom

when your done with your tor red cuda  i have a buyer for it up here  if your iterested in selling it.  thanks  tom

hotrod98

I've owned my tor-red 71 Cuda three times. I promised myself the last time I bought it back that I would never sell it again. I bought a nice floor shift column for it just this week. I was planning to start the resto on it this year but the bird got in the way first and now the RT/SE Challenger has to be completed.
I have three different engines ready for it and can't decide which one to use. I have a 440, a 340 and a 5.7 hemi. The problem with the 5.7 is making it work with the shaker setup. I'll use the 4-speed setup that I kept when I sold the other 71.
Here's what the Tor-red car will look like once it's completed. Wish it looked like this now. This is the first orange car that I've owned.

Charles Addams