News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get a third key?

Started by cooleric2000, August 03, 2010, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooleric2000

I want to get a third spare key for my sister in case she needs to drive it. I want to know how much usually the spare key cost and how long does it take to order one from the dealership.

nh_mopar_fan

Have you tried calling the dealership? I'm willing to bet that they'd know.

mauve66

take your current key to walmart or home depot or lowes, any key place can make a key if they have the blanks, not just the dealer
5-15 bucks
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

nh_mopar_fan

Unless I'm missing something, no, they can't.

New keys have chips embedded in them, no chip, no start.

A383Wing

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on August 03, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
Unless I'm missing something, no, they can't.

New keys have chips embedded in them, no chip, no start.

some do, some don't...depends on the car

mauve66

i didn't see a different car listed i assumed it was for the charger as in old car with no chip but you could be right i shouldn't have assumed
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

furbyboy

mauve66

soooo, was it for an old car or a new one????
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

EccentricMagpies

'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

green69rt

Quote from: cooleric2000 on August 03, 2010, 06:35:24 PM

I want to get a third spare key for my sister in case she needs to drive it. I want to know how much usually the spare key cost and how long does it take to order one from the dealership.

Got a spare key for my Acura and it was $80 which included coding it to work with my car.  If it's an old car then in the $10 range at walmart, lowes, etc.

Tilar

Quote from: green69rt on August 21, 2010, 09:02:26 AM
If it's an old car then in the $10 range at walmart, lowes, etc.

2 bucks at the local Ace Hardware store.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Brock Lee

Some places in my area have stopped stocking the old Chrysler keys. Home Depot and Wal Mart usually have them. They are like $2 each key and cheap feeling. I stocked up on the OEM blanks of eBay for about $2.50 a key and take them to Wal Mart, pay for a blank and hand them my blank to be cut.

green69rt

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 10, 2010, 05:21:37 AM
Some places in my area have stopped stocking the old Chrysler keys. Home Depot and Wal Mart usually have them. They are like $2 each key and cheap feeling. I stocked up on the OEM blanks of eBay for about $2.50 a key and take them to Wal Mart, pay for a blank and hand them my blank to be cut.

Not a bad idea for older cars!!!

Neal_J

If the question pertains to a microchipped key, it can get expensive.  I bought a 2000 Ford with only 1 key.  To get a duplicated, I had to pay $35 at the parts counter for a blank, then $100 at the service department to get it programmed to the car's computer.  I am not happy that day, as I recall.

The70RT

I just go to my key machine and make one if it is an older one  :icon_smile_big: I picked up a cool old machine and like 2000 keys for a hudered bucks.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us