News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoring you Charger, what is your skill level?

Started by Back N Black, February 06, 2011, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restoring you Charger, what is your skill level?

No clue, done by pro shop.
6 (4.5%)
can do body & paint. no mechinical
2 (1.5%)
Can do Mechinical, no body & paint.
34 (25.4%)
Do all my own work
30 (22.4%)
can do most, but not all (75%)
62 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Supercharged Riot

I can do my own body work and paint.

And I can do some light duty mechanical work because I dont have that many tools (yet)

resq302

There is a lot of stuff that I try to do and if it doesn't turn out like I wanted, I either retry it again or just call a professional to do.  I tried to do my headliner once, went in decent but was not happy with the over all outcome.  Now Im going to pay someone $300 to come to my house and do it.  A lot of the stuff on the car I've learned by doing or watching someone do it.  Hell, I had ot replace my windshield last year and paid someone the $200 to install it.  After seeing how easy it was (and getting pissed off that the guy did not install the sealant) after he left, I waited two hours to cool down and ended up popping out the windshield myself and sealed it up, then reinstalled the windshield.  That was something I always had someone do.  I think now on (not that Im planning on doing it anytime soon) I can do that part of the charger myself.   :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

UH60L

I've attempted body work a couple times on my old ford truck, and it didn't turn out well.  In one case, the bondo literally fell off of the truck a week after I had painted it!

So, for my charger, i let a shop do it so it would look decent.    :icon_smile_cool:

NHCharger

I'm at 75%. When I started with my first Charger 16 years ago my skill and confidence level were probably 25%. I'm at the point now where I enjoy working on the Chargers as much as driving them.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Long Island RT

I did everything myself except the final paint. 
It's not like I didn't try - but you really need a professional shop with a spray booth and super clean air to get an excellent paint job....
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: resq302 on February 08, 2011, 05:42:41 AM
There is a lot of stuff that I try to do and if it doesn't turn out like I wanted, I either retry it again or just call a professional to do.  I tried to do my headliner once, went in decent but was not happy with the over all outcome.  Now Im going to pay someone $300 to come to my house and do it.  A lot of the stuff on the car I've learned by doing or watching someone do it.  Hell, I had ot replace my windshield last year and paid someone the $200 to install it.  After seeing how easy it was (and getting pissed off that the guy did not install the sealant) after he left, I waited two hours to cool down and ended up popping out the windshield myself and sealed it up, then reinstalled the windshield.  That was something I always had someone do.  I think now on (not that Im planning on doing it anytime soon) I can do that part of the charger myself.   :2thumbs:

Brian,I thought you did the body and paint on your car,but then ent it out to get assembled and the detail work done????

resq302

Nope, body and paint on my charger were done prior to me purchasing the car in July of 2000.  The only thing that had been done was some repair work on the fenders from an incident with my lift.  All that I have done to the charger body wise is clay bar, polish, and wax it.  Now the under carriage, engine, and detail work is all me   :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

I voted for "I can do most". I probably can do a little more than 75% myself, but there are other things that you need 2 people for. Such as putting on a hood or installing an engine.

Other than that, I'm a retard when it comes to electrical.  :eek2:  :shortbus:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

triple_green

I get by with a little help from my friends.....

Amazing how much of the restoration you can do with mininal mechanical and paint/bodywork skills.

But I do get help on the "big stuff" in both of those areas.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

71ChallengeHer

I can change my oil and tune up my Chally.  Yesterday ,I was over at the garage standing in the motor compartment( in a neck collar  :eek2: ) sanding. I've pulled motors and trannys. As far as building the motor and trans, I'll leave that to the pros.

hemi68charger

I pretty much can do everything other than the paint and body. I'm learning the later and hopefully will be able to experiment more on the 500............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

troutstreamnm

I've done about everything short of paint/body and internals on the engine and transmission.  I want to learn to rebuild an engine so maybe that will be my next project...with a little help from my friends  :cheers:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

71wrenchhead

not that skilled but i learn by doing whatever i need to do on my truck,

oh and the wife is working on making my seat covers......does that count
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

RusTy/SE

rt green

i took mine apart and am still looking at it  lol
third string oil changer

charger490

i cant do any of the work so i just send it out and pay to get it all done.thatway it dont have to sit in my garage for five years waiting to get done. than i play the stock market to make the money to pay for it.i have done well in the market so i think i will keep it up.

pipeliner

Quote from: rt green on February 12, 2011, 05:50:44 PM
i took mine apart and am still looking at it  lol
U2,lol.Ive seen so many get their butts burnt that I try to do most of it myself.I do all of the supension,welding body panels,putting the engine and tranny back in and odd and ends.I dont do final body and paint,engine and tranny building and upholstery.

HeavyFuel

Wow, I feel like a slacker compared to you guys.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined, so I'm doing all of the tear down and reassemby myself.

The major mechanical / paint work goes to the "pros".  Minor mechanical I'm trying to tackle myself.

Like this rearend.  I removed it, disassembled it, detailed it, then took it to a shop for new bearings, etc.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 13, 2011, 01:15:57 PM
I'm not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined, so I'm doing all of the tear down and reassemby myself.

The major mechanical / paint work goes to the "pros".  Minor mechanical I'm trying to tackle myself.

Like this rearend.  I removed it, disassembled it, detailed it, then took it to a shop for new bearings, etc.

Nice job!   :2thumbs:

I used to do a lot of stuff, probably in over my head more than anything.  I pulled the motor, sanded the engine bay down to metal, repainted every thing & put it all back together by myself with a '67 Coronet.  I did have a couple friends come over to help me initially stab the motor but I did every thing else.  My wife helped put the hood on.

I did a lot of detail work on my blue Charger.

But now it absolutely sucks when I have to pay someone to do what I once did.  Although I still can do a lot, I hate watching someone work on my junk.  You know how it is, the other person never does it the way you want.

Wicked72

I can do and have done everything. However I am limited to the tools and machines I can fit in my garage, now that ive moved from the shop I worked at. :-\
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

six-tee-nine

Well it's not just about skill level i guess......

I have the "let's tear it apart, we"ll see what happens" attitude. I learned alot that way and get alot of stuff fixed that others throw away. on the other hand I have had several things that were complete junk after I got it in my hands because i'd better left it alone, or I better bought a new part in the first place rather than trying to fix the unrepairable.....

I guess it just a part of the "getting skilled" process
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...