News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What I did over Memorial Day Weekend

Started by bill440rt, May 30, 2011, 09:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

I had a good, productive weekend for a change.
I was able to finally hook up, adjust, & test my trailer with my new Ram to get it ready for the upcoming shows that are a further distance.
I was unsure how the 1500 Ram was going to pull a loaded enclosed trailer, however I'm happy to say that it pulled it awesome. The integral trailer brake controller really works well, and the backup camera makes coupling with the hitch a cinch. Just had to make some adjustments on the hitch & weight distribution setup to get the level right. The truck has just about the same towing capacity as my old 2500 did.

On the down side, I discovered the trailer really needs new tires. They are about 12 years old, and have begun to dry rot & crack in spots.
Does anyone have any recommendation on trailer tires?  :scratchchin:
It has Goodyear Marathon's on it now, however they got some bad reviews a few years back. They have always performed well for me, however. Does anyone know if they just had a bad run of them?

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to some road trips!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HITMAN 149

sweeeeet bro!!! love the plates on the charger also!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

DC_1

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ITSA426

I've got a set of Towmasters on my trailer.  They are radials, and work well for me.  I don't remember the manufacturer but the tires are holding up great.  Seems like a nicer ride and all.  I'd recommend them.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Back N Black

Nice truck and trailer! love to have that set up.  :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

I can totally understand trailering a 68 or a 70...   but 69's were meant to be driven.  :drive:     

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

68X426

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 31, 2011, 09:50:25 AMI can totally understand trailering a 68 or a 70...   but 69's were meant to be driven.  :drive:     

Cheap shot but way funny!  :lol:

Very nice towing setup, I'm envious, now you need logos. Maybe not these big. Keep us updated.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 68X426 on May 31, 2011, 10:33:21 AM
Very nice towing setup, I'm envious, now you need logos. Maybe not these big. Keep us updated.

:icon_smile_approve:

Great looking setup indeed! I vote for the no frills Mopar logo!  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69 OUR/TEA

1500 Ram ,an open trailor yes,enclosed never !!!!!! Where have I heard that before??????  :scratchchin: Nice set up Bill !!!!!
I see you have the escape door,and looks to be alittle forward like mine.Do you find it could have been placed back farther in yours? If I pull in far enough to get to open my door and get out of car,it is to far forward in the trailor,and have to let it roll back about 12'' or so.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 31, 2011, 09:50:25 AM
I can totally understand trailering a 68 or a 70...   but 69's were meant to be driven.  :drive:     

Boo yah!!!  :cheers:

Look forward to passing that rig on the trip down :nana:

(only to stay in front of you in case my POS craps out again  :rotz: )

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BananaDan

Performance Car Graphics makes ScatPack Bee decals for trailers...

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Small_Decals/Scat_Pack_Bees/Trailer_Scat_Pack_Bees.htm

I'm just sayin'... 

Personally I still vote you drive her to Carlisle but like Chris said, with all of us in the motorcade we may need you as a support vehicle. 

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

69rtse4spd

Nice set up, I run 10-ply on all my trailers, never know when your going to hit a bad hole.

P.S.  let the bad jokes start.

bill440rt

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on May 31, 2011, 08:05:57 PM
Nice set up, I run 10-ply on all my trailers, never know when your going to hit a bad hole.

P.S.  let the bad jokes start.

:smilielol: :smilielol:
I dunno, is there really such a thing as a bad one?? (OK, let's close this before it gets outta hand!)

Look closely, I kinda like the subtle white R/T's that are on it now. (Actually, they're Challenger hood decals).

I placed the order for a set of new Goodyear Marathon's today. I figured, I got 12 years out of them & they've always performed well for me. I got them from www.treadepot.com which surprisingly blew away the prices of Tire Rack.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 31, 2011, 02:20:35 PM
1500 Ram ,an open trailor yes,enclosed never !!!!!! Where have I heard that before??????  :scratchchin: Nice set up Bill !!!!!
I see you have the escape door,and looks to be alittle forward like mine.Do you find it could have been placed back farther in yours? If I pull in far enough to get to open my door and get out of car,it is to far forward in the trailor,and have to let it roll back about 12'' or so.

Paul, those words came out of my mouth many times. However... Dodge REALLY increased the towing capacity of the 1500 trucks. This one only fell short of a few hundred pounds of my last '07 2500 Hemi Ram. It rides better, towed better, gets better mileage, and the incentives were better as well. Based on the amount of towing I do per year (only a handful), I couldn't justify the need to go for the 2500. The weight distribution hitch is a must though, especially when the trailer is loaded.

I measured for the left side escape door carefully when I ordered the trailer specifically for the Charger's body measurements. It is placed perfectly. The trailer is very well balanced with the car inside. I find that once the back edge of the door is just forward of the door opening (maybe 1-2 inches), then I know the car is parked in the right spot.

69 OUR/TEA

I said the same thing,could'nt justify getting a 2500,or a deisel for the handfull of times I tow.Would'nt dare tow without the weight dist hitch and the sway control,heck I even use the sway control on the open trailor.Looking at your pic,my door is actually farther back toward the tail more than yours.I brainfarted with my comment,at the moment  my trailor hitch needs to be adjusted up one notch to level the trailor,thats why I have been shoving the car back as far as I could,once I level off the trailor I will be able to use the spot that the escape door is in to leave the car there.Excellent feature,without a doubt.
Even though my truck is an 04,I did a few things to it for more power,NTM being a 1500,when I bought the trailor I got it with 5000lb axles for the six lug rims and 12'' brakes so I know the truck is not going to suffer in the braking dep.I also just added a cap to mine and noticed it tows the enclosed alittle better now to.Been working great so far.
Congrats,the new truck looks good!!!!

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

speedfreak68

Wait a second.... they made chargers after 68?.....

Sorry I couldn't help it...  :icon_smile_big:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: speedfreak68 on June 02, 2011, 09:56:30 PM

Wait a second.... they made chargers after 68?.....

Sorry I couldn't help it...  :icon_smile_big:

They sure did...  they made them even better...  for one year only :)
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Nice tow rig & trailer Bill....same color combo as mine ; Silver Ram & Black trailer  :icon_smile_cool:

I would recommend a set of air bags out back to help the 1500's rear suspension with the additional tongue weight.  ;)

Doug (R2) has a 1500 and tows his 24ft enclosed just fine using the weight distribution hitch  :2thumbs:

As for tires ; I went with a set of Maxxis load range "E" 225/75/15's on mine. These tires have stiffer sidewalls than the previous range D's and also have 300lbs additional capacity per tire. The E's run at 80psi vs the D's at 65psi

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bill440rt

I looked into those Maxxis tires too, Ron.  :2thumbs:
Yep, they are nice. Supposedly the "best" trailer tire out there. However, I couldn't spring for them at this time. The Marathon's were a little more wallet friendly, & I figured I've had a pretty good streak with them for this long so I ordered them again.

I thought about the air bags, too. After adjusting the hitch one more notch, the back of the truck only sags a little now. It was MUCH better with the weight distribution bars. We took measurements before & after, and it was within "sag tolerance". (That last statement could be dangerous.)   :D

Old Moparz

Bill, the truck looks great.  :cheers:

I like the newer Rams much more compared to the '04 body style I have. I'd love to get a newer one, but mine just turned 50,000 miles & it may be a while before I have to truck shop.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

bill440rt

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 04, 2011, 09:03:09 AM
Bill, the truck looks great.  :cheers:

I like the newer Rams much more compared to the '04 body style I have. I'd love to get a newer one, but mine just turned 50,000 miles & it may be a while before I have to truck shop.

Thanks, Bob!  :cheers:
I hear ya. I waited about 3-1/2 years after turning in my last '07 due the Lemon Law. I kept telling myself "2500, 2500". The upgraded towing capacity though sealed the deal for me on the 1500. Glad I did. The ride is excellent, & the MDS system gives it a little better gas mileage, too.

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection