News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intermittent Trans Leak

Started by PFA42, September 05, 2011, 05:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PFA42

My trans is mystereriously leaking sometimes a little, sometimes a lot and sometimes never. Looks like it's coming from the front of the trans not the pan. Any ideas on this one??

Its a 727.
Thanks
PFA
1969 Charger R/T, 440, 727 TF column shift, 8 3/4 suregrip 3.91

Chryco Psycho

if the car sits for long periods like over winter the converter will leak down & overfill the rest of the trans , most 727 sem to leak over winter but under regular driving they shouldn't

PFA42

I've been driving it a few times a week.  Seems to leak after driving for at least 30 mins or more.  Recently swapped out the trans lines but the leak isn't coming from the lines.
1969 Charger R/T, 440, 727 TF column shift, 8 3/4 suregrip 3.91

70 Charger RT

Sometimes the o-ring on the dipstick filler leaks because the dip stick tube is "cock-eyed".  This is especially true if you let it sit for a few days.  Oil will run out of dip stick and run down to front of pan gasket area.  If this is your problem, take out dip stick tube and make sure tube is perfectly round and install a new o-ring.  When re-installing, make sure it is in perfect alignment.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

64dartgt

I had an Olds which only leaked from the rear main seal after extended driving.

TexasStroker

I had a problem with the selector shaft seal that was really had to track down, worth a check when you are going over the rest.  Hope you get it figured out.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

69rtse4spd

A buddy of mine had an A-12 car that the (non matching auto) leaked after it got hot, finally found out the case had a small crack in it that expanded a little when hot. Hopefully that will not be the case, but something to look for.