News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

newbee question

Started by 71seguy, August 25, 2011, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71seguy

hi guys new to the site here..my car is a 71 se, 318 with a mild cam (not sure what kind)my question is i want to switch out the stock 2 barrel carb and manifold with a 4 barrel...is this somthing a guy me can do ..lol im mechanicalliy inclined somewhat ..but timmid when it comes to heavy mechanical stuff ...my buddy will also be helping too but hes never done it ...ive heard its ez ...but ive been known to mess up ez stuff...also what kind/ size carb or manifold u guys think i should get ? thanks ! oh i have a stock manifold i was ganna run for now untill i pull the motor to paint the car...

Chryco Psycho

That is the way to learn , if you have problems or question ask away we can help
I would use Fel Pro gaskets , you will need to pull one valve cover to get the intake in / out so get new gaskets for that as well , check the cam condition too

RallyeMike

If you want some reference materials, but a shop manual that covers an old 318 car. It doesnt have to be for a Charger (which are more expensive).

Clean mating surfaces real good with a razor or similar and parts cleaner. Use plenty of silicone on the end gaskets. Depending on which 4bbl intake you use, sometime the stock bracket for the throttle and shift linkage wont fit properly, so be prepared to possibly modify it or buy aftermarket.

Lastly, post a photo of the burnout when you are done.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

B5charger

71seguy,  I am in the same boat as you ie. 1971 318 automatic.  I've got the same setup and here is what I am planning on doing... Edelbrock 600 electric choke (1406).  Edelbrock performer intake (2176).  The only thing I'm not sure about either is how the throttle/shift linkage will work or if I need an aftermarket. :cheers:

flyinlow

Quote from: B5charger on August 26, 2011, 08:55:18 AM
71seguy,  I am in the same boat as you ie. 1971 318 automatic.  I've got the same setup and here is what I am planning on doing... Edelbrock 600 electric choke (1406).  Edelbrock performer intake (2176).  The only thing I'm not sure about either is how the throttle/shift linkage will work or if I need an aftermarket. :cheers:

Probably good choices.  Most Eddyand Holley carbs need a small bolt on bracket to work with Mopar linkage. ($15)
Use Rust Blaster to loosen old bolts. Shop towels to cover the cam while cleaning off the old gaskets and a shop vac. can help get all the debris out off the lifter galley.Replace heater and bypass hoses while your doing it.  Make sure to hook up the trans linkage if you have an auto and adjust it properly. You will need a four BBL. air cleaner too. Won't hurt to change the coolant and oil to get any debris that might get in there.    :Twocents:

Can you ditch the end gaskets on Mopar engines completely and use a bead of RTV instead ?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 440 on August 27, 2011, 06:17:40 AM
Can you ditch the end gaskets on Mopar engines completely and use a bead of RTV instead ?

I've tried that, the RTV kept seeping oil.  Probably because the block surface is too rough.

I'd use the cork gaskets.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

B5charger

Does anyone have a part number for the bracket needed for the conversion?  Also, what adjustments if any are needed for the trans linkage?

64dartgt

Please note that if you go with the Weiand Stealth manifold you will have to get an air cleaner with a dropped base and a small carb spacer for the edelbrock.  I put a 500 cfm on to have more snappy throttle response, which worked well.  I do recommend getting a 600 cfm though, in case you swap a bigger motor in later.

71seguy

update****so i got a killer deal on a gently used edelbrock 600 cfm thru a performance store . (came off a guys bad ass 70 charger) also got a new edelbrock perfromer manifold (2176) for 259.00. and a set of edelbrock chrome signature valve covers., and got carb studs,cork  valve cover gaskets, carb plate gasket, new 12 point bolts for the manifold,silicone and intake gaskets,water neck gasket...so i got all the goodies just need to install everything !  thanks guys !

flyinlow

Trans linkage:  don't leave home without it.

The pin (Special bolt) that the throttle cable moves should start moving the transmission throttle preasure, also called kickdown , linkage right after you start opening the throttle. Both the carb and the trans. linkage should reach their limit about the same time. The Edelbrock addaptor helps make the Eddy carb that is designed for a smallblockchevy have the correct arc for a Mopar. A factor service manual with have pictures and more detail.

Should be a fun and rewarding upgrade. Make sure the carb linkage is free to return to idle with everything installed and the hood shut.

B5charger

I've just bought the same set up as you 71seguy...(Eddy#1406 along with Eddy intake manifold #2176) and it looks like I got the correct adaptor bracket that flyinlow is recommending.  Can't wait for the shipment to come through and start figuring out how it all comes together.

71seguy

cool man!  any local mopar guys here in tacoma wa.. ? i think i could use some walk thru on this ..