News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN tag #s - where else on car could they be stamped ?

Started by sportony, March 25, 2012, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportony

Have a interesting and serious dilemma here.. I was trying to sell my 1970 Barracuda.  I bought it back in 1993.  They inner fender tag was never with the car.  My title and registration read BH23GOBXXXXXX  (blocked out last 6 digits).  Now I just checked the VIN tag on the car and it reads DP2311OBxxxxx. 

It seems somewhere, at sometime over the last 19 years someone switched my VIN tag.  If someone were to steal it, why would they try to replace it with another, and from a Dodge no less ?   Not to sound naive, but Why would someone want a VIN tag without a title ? 

Is there any other place on the car that would have the VIN # stamped ??  frame rails ?  Package tray ?

The car has been sitting outside for a while, and has been in 2 different states (AZ and KY) ....... I'm going to check with the DMV in both states to see if they have either tag on record (right after I quit throwing up......).

Ghoste

Thats a VIN for a 71 Dodge C-body, that is obviously not what you want.  Look on the trunk weatherstrip rail or the cowl underhood up by the drivers side.

resq302

Yeh, you got a SERIOUS problem.  Either sound like the car was stolen in the past or someone swapped VINs to get a cheaper insurance on the car.  Either way, you are going to have a major, major headache trying to sell a car with a problem like that.

When we bought our 70 chally vert, I noticed that the VIN on the title was not correct vs. the VIN on the car and fender tag.  Before I would even go any further with the purchase, I had the owner get the title corrected as I would never, ever, buy a car that the VINs didn't match or have the title match the VINs.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sportony

All I know is when I bought the car here in KY, I went to the courhouse with the seller, had the police officer inspect the car, and the title and VIN matched, and I bought the car.  Now, mysteriously, they no longer match.  

Only thing that I can figure is I did have the car at a local chyrsler dealership back in 1995 or 1996, as I rebuilt the motor after it blew up.  Couldn't get the thing started after the rebuild, so I had it towed over there, and they had it for 4-5 days.  Right after they got it running, I put it in storage.  Had it moved with me to AZ, and then back to KY, but I never inspected the VIN (never felt like I had to).  Not sure what I can do with partial VIN on the firewall, since it doesn't match the VIN tag.

Guess I now have a very expensive parts car.  Lucky me.......

resq302

Hate to say it but the numbers on the firewall or rad support or other places only mean that the body panels match.  VIN swapping at the dash seems to be the most common and easiest thing to do if a car gets stolen.  Im not trying to be a downer but I don't think it looks good for you.  Something just doesn't add up though! :rotz:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sportony

resq302 - I noticed you have a 69 H code 383 4-speed.  My father has a 68 383 H code 4-speed.  Not nearly as good as yours, but interesting none the less.

But back to the VIN tag - I spoke to a police officer this morning and he said I could apply for a new vin tag, as he knows this has been done before.... He wasn't sure where it would go or if it was to be place over the old one, but He seemed to believe it wouldn't be that troublesome.  Naturally, in my experience, I going to find out a whole bunch of things that no one else knows about attempting to get a new VIN tag, and how difficult this is going to be. 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2012, 01:23:07 PM
Thats a VIN for a 71 Dodge C-body, that is obviously not what you want.  Look on the trunk weatherstrip rail or the cowl underhood up by the drivers side.

DP2311OBxxxxx

That's not even a valid VIN for a 71 Dodge. So we either have real problem with the VIN on the car or the OP made a mistake posting the numbers.

Sportony, can you post a picture of the tag?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

I was assuming a mistake and basically stopped at the 1. :shruggy:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2012, 11:35:34 PM
I was assuming a mistake and basically stopped at the 1. :shruggy:

I didn't catch it at first either then I looked at it. No letter engine code and no plant info. (B plant is not correct for a 71 C body) Only five digits.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

gtx6970

Having the state issue a new vin tag is not a big deal.

That said the car WILL take a major hit in value because of it, regardless of where they install it.
If the glass is out they will probably remove the tag on the car and install said new tag in the OE location. Otherwise it will be installed in the B-pillar / door opening frame

Not 100% sure but I think KY just re-issues the same tag # as in the title / paperwork. But the state issued tag does NOT look like an original tag

sportony

Thanks guys for your help..... I can speculate all I want, but the reality is, it is what it is.  ...  I am just going to have the car towed over to the Police station which is next to the county clerks office and try to settle this thing out..   i don't see any other way that is going to help.  Just another curve ball in my life of strikeouts......  Seems the only time I get on base anymore is when I get hit by a pitch.........