News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Pace Car

Started by RealWing, February 20, 2013, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealWing

My Superbird is featured in the May 2013 Mopar Muscle Magazine (Hit the news stands last week - Feb!!)

It was originally the Pace Car at Sunset Speedway near Barrie, Ontario, Canada and was restored to how it appeared in 1971. Sunset Speedway has confirmed they would like to have the car back at the track on a race weekend this summer. (No date yet)
Will be interesting to get a photo of the car back at the track - 42 years later!!
Hopefully I can find some people who may have some original photos of the Pace Car. I only have one original photo of driver's side. I know there was a decal on the hood but I need a photo and also a photo of the pass side decals.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

maxwellwedge

I remember seeing pics of your car on... I think this site a year or three ago.....Tried a quick search - no luck.

Are you in Ontario?

Here are some pics.....you probably posted these  :icon_smile_cool: http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/carsinbarns37.html

RealWing

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 20, 2013, 02:16:21 PM
I remember seeing pics of your car on... I think this site a year or three ago.....Tried a quick search - no luck.

Are you in Ontario?

Here are some pics.....you probably posted these  :icon_smile_cool: http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/carsinbarns37.html

Yes - I'm in Ontario and I posted those pics a few years ago. Although I only worked on the restoration part time, we started disassembly in 1996, it was in the body shop for 4 years and restoration started in 2000 and finished in 2012! Either a labour of love or just plain slow - maybe both!!
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

kw mopar

I will be looking for it parked in front of the Bruce Inn  or Gilleys this summer.  :cheers:

Ghoste

Looking forward to seeing it myself.  Congrats on the magazine feature.  :cheers:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: RealWing on February 20, 2013, 05:07:46 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 20, 2013, 02:16:21 PM

Are you in Ontario?

Yes - I'm in Ontario and I posted those pics a few years ago. Although I only worked on the restoration part time, we started disassembly in 1996, it was in the body shop for 4 years and restoration started in 2000 and finished in 2012! Either a labour of love or just plain slow - maybe both!!

Cool - Lotsa wings in Ontario  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

You know, it's a bit of a long haul for many of us on this site but maybe if that car is going to pace at Sunset one more time we should talk about having a gathering in support of?  Kind of a mini version of the Aero Reunion at Talladega.

kw mopar

That would be cool to drive an hour to an Aero event instead of 19 hrs. Just need an organizer. Hint. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Hmmm.  :scratchchin:   Is there a  proposed date for this appearance yet?

WINGR

Congrats on the article, what a beautiful car with an awesome history. Look forward to reading it.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

WINGR/Steve

FJ5WING

cant wait to pick up an issue....
wingless now, but still around.

RealWing

Quote from: kw mopar on February 20, 2013, 10:30:39 PM
I will be looking for it parked in front of the Bruce Inn  or Gilleys this summer.  :cheers:

You missed seeing it there last summer!!!
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

hemi68charger

Congrad's and good luck..  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RealWing

Quote from: Ghoste on February 21, 2013, 09:18:56 AM
You know, it's a bit of a long haul for many of us on this site but maybe if that car is going to pace at Sunset one more time we should talk about having a gathering in support of?  Kind of a mini version of the Aero Reunion at Talladega.

Sunset Speedway in Barrie has confirmed that the Superbird will be pacing laps on August 10th! Will post more details when I hear back from Steve Slaughter.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

hemi68charger

Quote from: RealWing on July 02, 2013, 07:20:03 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 21, 2013, 09:18:56 AM

Sunset Speedway in Barrie has confirmed that the Superbird will be pacing laps on August 10th! Will post more details when I hear back from Steve Slaughter.

That is Awesome !!!!!!  I would love to do that as well with the Daytona at our local track................  Good luck and look forward to the pictures and VIDEOS !!!!    :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Damn!  I'll be in Columbus that weekend.

WINGR

Wow, how cool would that be. Congrats, what a great opportunity. :2thumbs:

WINGR/Steve