News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head exh. stud help requested

Started by Sendero, January 17, 2006, 10:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sendero

The engine shop installed an incorrect exhaust stud near cyl 7 ( course threaded) . Simple matter of removing it...not! I even used a pair of vice grips to break it free. No luck. Need help to remove this one..any ideas?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Possibly use a bit of heat with a propane torch to break it loose.  Probably the thread sealer holding it tight into there
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Have you tried using a double nut to loosen it? Applying heat will help.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Sendero

Yep I  used heat...and a few hammer taps. I am a bit concerned to use to much leverage and snap it off.

firefighter3931

Heat up the area surrounding the stud on the head....not just the stud. Hopefully that will break it loose. Hopefully it won't snap off or you'll be drilling and tapping.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1970440RT

GO EASY ON THE HEAT!!   Don't crack a perfectly good head like I did.  Another chapter in my book... 

Might be easiest to just get a matching ( course ) thread nut.

Sendero

Well..the problem is solved. Since I ruined the threads with the vice grip method :-[, I heated the stud red hot and recut the threads with the correct nut. The temper of the stud may be weakened but it held a 30ft-lb torque so I ma happy! Onward! :icon_smile_big: