News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 differential 489 housing gasket replacement

Started by chargersb71, March 13, 2012, 08:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargersb71

All I need to do is put a new gasket on the housing.  It is my understanding that I need to slide the axle shafts out to do this.  Do I need to slide the axle all the way out to accomplish just replacing this one gasket?  Thanks for any help in advance.

Chryco Psycho

yes you need to slide the axles out about 6" on both sides , use a jack to split the center section away from the housing after you have removed the nuts , lift down the center section & clean the surfaces , I use Ultra black silicone to help seal , reverse the proceedeure & check the axle end play , it should be approx .010

chargersb71

Chryco on checking the axle end play I will need a dial indicator correct?  Or is there another way to do this?  Also I guess I don't need to worry about replacing the axle flange gaskets since they aren't leaking.

Chryco Psycho

best way is to use a guage but it can be done by feel , use a hammer to seat the brg on the other side & if you can just fell the axle move in & out barely you will be OK

chargersb71

Thanks Chryco I will give it a shot in the morning and let you know how it goes.

Chryco Psycho

chargersb71

Finished it no problems look like somebody had never heard of gaskets before just RTV gasket making.  Now waiting on some brake parts and new leaf springs to put it all on back on.

Chryco Psycho

I have often seen ot done with just silicone , no gasket , glad you got it fixed  :2thumbs: