News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I got my new rear glass installed today

Started by BananaDan, March 27, 2012, 10:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I had my new rear glass installed today.  I used a local glass guy in NJ referred to me by Bill440RT and I was very happy with the job he did.  I photographed the job so I thought I'd share how he did it.  He prefers to use urethane and not butyl.  I'm ok with it and sometimes prefer modern methods.  Plus, she's not a numbers 100-point car and I hate leaks.  This job solved the last leak in my car.   :icon_smile_big:

He masked the glass to paint the edge with a black primer.  He said this not only promotes the adhesion of the urethane, but it also keeps the sun off of the urethane so it doesn't get damaged by UV and will last longer.

Out with the old and fun with cleaning butyl:

He then painted the lip with the same primer that went on the glass edge.

Next was something he said he does on all of his classic car jobs.  He puts down what he calls a water dam.  He said they come in Toyota glass kits and he doesn't always need them so he stashes them for jobs like this.  Its basically a small weatherstrip that has adhesive on one side.  He put the dam down and then back-filled it with urethane.

In went the new glass, all done!    :cheers: :boogie:

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bull

Nice. :2thumbs: Sounds like he has some good ideas about the installation.

I'd be sure to stick lots of masking tape up against the insides of those sail panels before putting the trim back in. You don't want to scuff the paint while wrestling that stuff into place.

resq302

Dan,

Did he put the window in the right way meaning the curvature of the window facing the right direction?  Chris G. with his burnt 70 knows all about this too well as we found out one year at E-town.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BananaDan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bill440rt

Sweet!  :2thumbs:

Looks like Jeff did yet another great job, Dan. He used one of those glass dams as well on mine.
Glad to see it worked out. You'll have to drive it in the next downpour to make sure it doesn't leak.  :icon_smile_big:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger Downunder

Quote from: resq302 on March 28, 2012, 05:08:09 AM
Dan,

Did he put the window in the right way meaning the curvature of the window facing the right direction?  Chris G. with his burnt 70 knows all about this too well as we found out one year at E-town.
Interesting always thought the rear glass was flat what way does the curvature go
[/quote]

bill440rt

Glass has a slight curve to it. Curvature goes OUT.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BananaDan

Quote from: bill440rt on March 28, 2012, 07:22:21 AM
You'll have to drive it in the next downpour to make sure it doesn't leak.  :icon_smile_big:

Mmmm, I think a hose test will suffice.  I don't want to give Bill a heart attack.  Wait a second...  Bill?  Did someone steal your password?   :D

BananaDan

Quote from: bill440rt on March 28, 2012, 07:22:21 AM
Sweet!  :2thumbs:

Looks like Jeff did yet another great job, Dan. He used one of those glass dams as well on mine.
Glad to see it worked out.

It did, he was great.  He was floored that the body shop did such a crappy job on the window considering the body/paint job they did.  Either that, or they subbed it out to a crappy guy and didn't watch him.  Either way, no more leaks!

charger Downunder

Quote from: bill440rt on March 28, 2012, 07:30:02 AM
Glass has a slight curve to it. Curvature goes OUT.
So the glass bulge is on the outside. I am always learning never noticed.
[/quote]

Silver R/T

Nice job. I'm sure it will last many years, especially having no vinyl top (which is a rust promoter)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

projectanimal

Nice work and great documention!   :cheers:
we are getting close to paint and installing our new rear window as well, so this was good to see so I can stay on stop of the guy doing the work!  :2thumbs:

Cheers
northwest CT