News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird strikes

Started by 1BAD68, April 17, 2012, 09:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Anyone know what I can do to stop birds from slamming into my windows?
We have 3 large windows that face the woods and birds are constantly slamming into them. Some are killed instantly and some are stunned for a while and then fly off.
I'm picking up dead birds every couple days.

skip68

I know sun screens work but I don't think that's something you'd want.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Marck

I live in Denmark, and I've seen several places that put a sticker on the window, that looks like the silhouette of a bird of prey.. Seems to do the trick..  :Twocents:  :scratchchin:

1BAD68

Bird of prey, Great idea! I'm giving it a try thanks  :2thumbs:

Drache

I shouldn't laugh but visiting my grandparent's place they have a HUGE window facing the river. One day I hear a loud THUNK and when I look at the window there is a PERFECT impression of a bird on the glass. I guess the pigeon was dusty or something but you could clearly see the imprint of the wings, body, and even the surprised face of the pigeon, I shit you not! I've never seen such detail in an imprint.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

1BAD68

Haha, I had the same thing from a morning dove. Wings spread out and head to the side.
The dove lived and I left the imprint there for a long time showing people that stopped by.

Dino

Got any old cd's or dvd's?  Any you burned and got ruined?  You can either stick one or two against the window or hang them outside on a string, birds will avoid that shiny disc like the plague.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

skip68

Maybe you shouldn't complain.   Have you seen the price of meat lately?     :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

BigBlackDodge

A "Caution: Window Is Closed" sign should work...................... :shruggy:

Maybe post it in Spanish and French just to be sure.

BBD

1BAD68

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on April 17, 2012, 12:23:46 PM
A "Caution: Window Is Closed" sign should work...................... :shruggy:

Maybe post it in Spanish and French just to be sure.

BBD

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution, thanks  :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: skip68 on April 17, 2012, 11:42:27 AM
Maybe you shouldn't complain.   Have you seen the price of meat lately?     :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

But seriously it's very sad isn't it. I mean we love the birds around here but have lost quite a few that way too. Every now and then we even get a kookaburra fly into a window and if they come at it head on they can break their necks very easily. . More often than not it's the young chicks.
As to what can be done, I don't know. But the dvd's/cd's certainly work to keep the birds away from fruit trees so maybe if you hang them from the eaves in front of windows it may be enough of an deterrent.

33yeartoy

go to a  specialty store for decor. sun catcher or wind catcher,  differrent designs, might look better than cd discs.  we have cardinals and other bird ones on back bay window. we had same problem.   no lost birds since. :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Fred

Good idea, that's what I will do.

71ChallengeHer

One of the guys I work with, puts rubber snakes on his porch to keep the birds away.  :shruggy: