News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel guage reads empty, new sending unit

Started by smokinrt, April 16, 2006, 12:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinrt

My 69 chargerRT fuel guage always reads empty.  A new sending unit was installed in 03, so how can I test the unit to see if it works.

Just 6T9 CHGR

First you must make sure the sending unit is grounded.  there is a metal strap that connects from the sending unit to the metal fuel line.

if this ground is not secure the gauge will not work.  Check this first
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Skyview69

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 16, 2006, 05:53:32 PM
First you must make sure the sending unit is grounded.  there is a metal strap that connects from the sending unit to the metal fuel line.

if this ground is not secure the gauge will not work.  Check this first

Do you happen to have a picture of the ground strap?  My fuel guage does not work and grouding the sending unit wire spikes the guage to full.  I believe I pulled out what was left of the ground strap....a piece of rust came out  :rotz: any help would be appreciated  :2thumbs:

thanks!

Skyview69

Quote from: shorty442 on June 02, 2012, 10:21:50 PM
Try this for a reference - E-Bay for $13.99, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Fuel-Sending-Unit-Ground-Strap-Cuda-GTX-Charger-RoadRunner-Dart-Duster-/230776677848#ht_1190wt_953

Hope it helps. :yesnod:

thanks..... I have been searching online as well....was hoping to find one locally at a parts store but i am not finding one. Might have to order this up  :2thumbs:

resq302

easy temporary fix is to try and use a jumper wire from the sending unit to a ground and see if it fixes the problem.  If it does, then you know what you have to do.  If not, you have other issues.  Could also be something as simple as a bad float.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto