News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering box, reverse or standard?

Started by charger72, February 07, 2006, 11:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger72

I was wondering if anyone knows how to determine if you have standard or reverse rotation steering box? The truck im doing is a 74' powerwagon with 4 wheel drive.

Charger_Fan

The best way I can think of, would also be the most obvious...rotate the upper shaft & see which way the pitman shaft rotates in relation to how it needs to rotate to the linkage on your truck.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

charger72

Chargerfan, I rotated t he steering shaft to the right and the pitman arm on the side of box turned counterclockwise to the back of the truck and opposite when i turned it to the left. thats what confuses me.

Charger_Fan

Well, I'm not well versed on 74 Powerwagons, unfortunately. What I'm saying more or less, is that you can answer your own question by holding that gearbox next to your old one & compare the two.
If the new one turns opposite of your old one, it's obvious it's not gonna be a bolt-in swap. Know what I mean?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

charger72

chargerfan, I do get what your saying. Jsut hate to order the wrong one when you cant exchange it here for a different one when they are special order. Thanks though.

Charger_Fan

Oh, I guess I assumed you already had one to compare it to. ;D
Is the parts store telling you that there are two different applications for that year of truck?

BTW, have you read your "steering problems" thread? I've got some questions in there too.

charger72

I found out from a truck website that if the box sits on a plate and the arm points down it is a reverse(of course the higher priced one) and opposte for standard. At least I know.

Charger_Fan