News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The '68 Is Home!

Started by terrible one, February 13, 2006, 12:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Alright guys, I finally got the '68 onto my property. I'm so excited!

derailed

well getting it home is a step in the right direction. Nice car, looks like a good foundation for a project. What color are you going to go with it?

terrible one

Yeah, there she is.

It's got more bondo than expected, but that's alright. It's mostly at the rear valence and lower rear quarters, which need to be cut and patched anyways. I'll have to blast the back end and go from there. The underside is really nice. Very little rust, and almost all of the undercoating still in tact. As you can see, the pans are in pretty good shape. No holes, just rust towards the front. I'll have to see how well that cleans up. I also got a complete grille with all vacuum parts, extra center piece, two front valences, and a bunch of other stuff that makes the front end complete.

terrible one

Quote from: derailed on February 13, 2006, 12:59:11 AM
well getting it home is a step in the right direction. Nice car, looks like a good foundation for a project. What color are you going to go with it?

Yeah, now that it is home I can stop worrying about it. I don't know what I will do for paint. I was thinking red, the original color, but that's a ways away.  :icon_smile_big:

derailed

cool and thats even better if its the original color  :2thumbs:

skip68

Hey Terrible one,  You've got a great start.  That cars going to be sweet if you put the time into it :2thumbs: :wave:   I bet you can't sleep without looking at your pics.  Good luck with that beautiful 68 ( best year ever ). :2thumbs:   Chuck...............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

greenpigs

Well, now the honeymoon is over, just wait till your constantly broke and the car seems to want even more parts.   

Now someone needs to show you the secret handshake that comes with 2nd gen ownership.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

terrible one

Thanks guys. There is definitly a great amount of work, time, and money that will have to go into this thing  :yesnod:

Secret handshake?!?! Can that be done virtually?  ^-^

Charger_Fan

Quote from: terrible one on February 13, 2006, 07:46:59 AM
Thanks guys. There is definitly a great amount of work, time, and money that will have to go into this thing  :yesnod:

Secret handshake?!?! Can that be done virtually?  ^-^
I think Strat's avatar shows most of it. :icon_smile_big:

Congrats, that looks like a nice project! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Doc74

Hmmm ugly, rot, bondoed, rot, in pieces, rot.... I LOVE IT !!   :2thumbs:  :nana:

If you got the parts available and you'll need just about everything from the rear wheels back, which is fairly normal   :D, this is one sweet project.

If you can just replace all the bad parts with new ones instead of patching, I sure recommend it, I'm patching one right now and it's a ton of work but I don't have parts available here so no other option.
When you blast it in and out you'll know what I mean.

It's a big car and it can be a time and money trap but who cares ! You got your charger dude...party ! :boogie: :boogie:

terrible one

Yep, lots of bondo and rot, but like you said, as to be expected.

I think the only thing I can really "replace" is the trunk pan. The rear quarters and valence definitly need cutting out and patching. The sail panels might need replacing, I don't know what they look like under that bondo.

Anyways,

I GOT A CHARGER!!!!!  ;D

Telvis

You will be okay. Just plug away a little at a time. Before you know it you will have made some serious headway. Good luck!

terrible one

Quote from: Telvis on February 13, 2006, 09:20:12 PM
You will be okay. Just plug away a little at a time. Before you know it you will have made some serious headway. Good luck!

Yeah, that's how I work best, little by little.

Today I took some bondo off of the sail panels. They are as I expected, pretty bad. They will definitly need to be patched. They are rusted through. What the guy (who had the car before the guy I bought it from) was put some kind of aluminum foil stuff over the holes and bondo over that. Pretty bad.

It'll get there!

terrible one

Peeled away some of the bondo from behind the back windshield in the inner c-pillar/sail panel area. It's rough, but these are the "usual" spots.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

inhrmswy

My  charger has a twin?!!  same rust in the sails, around the rear glass, qtr panels etc...mines also a 68 pp1, non vinal top.  same rust holes in the trunk floor, only real difference is that mines a 4spd and it has the wrong year/make interior in it...

terrible one

Quote from: inhrmswy on February 14, 2006, 04:07:11 PM
My  charger has a twin?!!  same rust in the sails, around the rear glass, qtr panels etc...mines also a 68 pp1, non vinal top.  same rust holes in the trunk floor, only real difference is that mines a 4spd and it has the wrong year/make interior in it...

Alright man! I would really like to put a 4 spd in mine, but I don't know. We'll see!

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

terrible one

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 14, 2006, 05:20:46 PM
Quote from: terrible one on February 14, 2006, 04:19:07 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on February 14, 2006, 02:18:56 PM
Is the original color PP1?

Yes.

i vote for original color then.       :yesnod:   >>>>>>>    :icon_smile_big: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,154.msg115420.html#msg115420

As do I  ;D Seriously though, I actually do like the PP1, I plan to paint it that color. After all the dreaded bodywork taht is  :'( I would seriously enjoy doing the bodywork if I was good at it. I like to work on cars, I just don't want to mess up my Charger. I'm definitly going to have it professionally patched.