News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Tank

Started by sheldo, May 23, 2013, 12:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldo

I cant seem to fill my tank up with petrol ,it only allows me to half fill ,any suggestions out there

Fred

Quote from: sheldo on May 23, 2013, 12:30:14 AM
I cant seem to fill my tank up with petrol ,it only allows me to half fill ,any suggestions out there

Is that according to the gauge?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

sheldo

No the fuel is held up in the snout after 20 litres so I cant put more than 20lt in

XH29N0G

half empty? or half full? 

I don't understand.  If the filler tube sticks up above the top of the tank, it shouldn't stop filling unless you are filling too fast or there is something that is not venting?  Other than that, I have no clue about it.  I'll wait to see what others say?

:popcrn: :popcrn:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Fred

My guess is a blocked tank vent tube.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

chargd72

Quote from: Fred on May 24, 2013, 01:48:35 AM
My guess is a blocked tank vent tube.

Bingo.  Only way the filler neck will back up without filling the entire tank first.  Or you have the incorrect filler neck that is way too long.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

poppa

I am having this problem as well ,on a 69 Charger. I have a "new" vent tube and know it is not blocked(am going to check anyway after posting). I don't see how that would affect filling anyway as it is at the top of the filler neck. Wouldn't it need to be "in" the tank ,maybe a copper tube brazed along the inside top of the filler neck?? How do I know if my filler tube is incorrect? What other one would even fit? I fillup and get only 5/8ths of a tank ,I stood there and "nursed" it in and got 3/4 but it took 10 - 15 minutes to get that little bit more. A most annoying problem.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Musicman

Just ran across this same issue with a 97 Grand Cherokee... Turns out, it had very tiny pinholes in the filler tube, which is only like 10" long, before it hits the actual flex tube that runs to the tank itself. Nonetheless, these little tiny pinholes in the metal fill tube were all it took to create a vacuum issue. I replaced the fill tube, problem solved.

poppa

Anyone repop these filler tubes? Any good?

Ghoste

The filler tubes are repro'd but I have no personal experience with their quality.

poppa

Still thinking about this issue. Don't remember having this problem before resto.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 01, 2013, 09:09:42 AM
The filler tubes are repro'd but I have no personal experience with their quality.

where? i asked this question and only one person does it and another should be finished producing them in 2 months.

Ghoste

I've seen them at swap meets but you're right, when I do an online search of the repro parts suppliers, no one seems to have it.  This is going to drive me nuts now.

1974dodgecharger

LOL yeah it drove me nuts too I mean there is everything for the 2nd gens, but  no filler tank tube  :icon_smile_big:

You can rebuild the whole fuel system all the way to the carbs, every bolt needed, but no filler tube.