News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trouble re-assembling dimmer switch

Started by TonyN, July 06, 2013, 06:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyN

Hello all,

I am having some trouble re-assembling my dimmer switch casing after replacing the chrome wheel.

I am attaching a few pics from lilwendal's thread for reference. My dimmer switch is the one on the left.

My questions:

1) On the far left of the parts pic, there is a washer that looks like a penny with a hole in it. Where does that one go? I currently have it between the big white wheel and the grey tooth/gear.

2) I am guessing the 'slant' bit on the grey tooth/gear is supposed to push the copper bar up into contact with the switch case. Is that correct?

3) Further to that, I am having trouble lining up the gears from the chrome wheel, the white half-gear and the grey tooth/gear. Is there a technique to that?

4) The dimmer wheel itself is a bit wobbly (left to right). I am wondering, is that where the penny-washer is supposed to go?

I did my best coming up with descriptors. Let me know if I need to elaborate on anything.

Thanks,

Tony

TonyN

bull

Glad you got it because there's probably not too many people here who've taken one apart. Actually, it'd be kind of cool to tell us how you did it.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

TonyN

I wish I was keeping notes as I was doing it. That 'penny washer' provided tension/push to force the rheostat and the copper 'arm' together. The biggest challenge, since it was a rotating device, was where to 'start' everything so when you rotated it, so it moved the correct amount up and down.

Again, I wish I took better notes, but I was so glad to get the thing put back together I just put it in the dash.

Aside from having to fiddle to get the line up correctly, it went together quite logically.

jlatessa

The only trouble I had after using a screw and nut in the thumb wheel was that it wouldn't
fit in the dash housing, I had to grind a little relief for the nut and screw head.

If you are able to rivet it back together, you shouldn't have a problem.

As an aside, if the rheostat coil is loose, I used a porcelain touch-up (for appliances)
to re-bed the coil into the ceramic wheel, works great! Just make sure you keep it off the contact area.

Joe