News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Backup lights no bueno!!

Started by J-440, November 29, 2013, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Evening all.  Since my electrical skills are "0" I need some help.  My reverse lights on my 68 are not coming on.  The car is immobile but the electrical and battery are great. I have a 3 prong neutral safety switch with one wire going to the center terminal.  It's also a stock taillight harness connected to a modern Painless fusebox.  And the reverse light harness from the floor shifter is also brand new.  Also, where the light sockets mount on the taillight housing, does the paint need to be scraped off for a good ground?  Does the car have to be actually running to test or just turning the key to the on position and shifting to R be fine for a test?  Thanks again!!
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Pete in NH

HI,

I'm a bit confused when you say you only have one wire to the center pin of the neutral safety switch on the transmission. You should have three wires, the center pin is the neutral safety switch to the starter relay and the two outer pins are the back up light switch. It sounds like you have some missing wires to start with.

J-440

Yeah Pete I had to order the correct harness.  I got with Nacho earlier and he squared me away.  Thanks for helping out though. :2thumbs:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

WhiteOnGreen

Quote from: Pete in NH on November 30, 2013, 08:03:32 AM
HI,

I'm a bit confused when you say you only have one wire to the center pin of the neutral safety switch on the transmission. You should have three wires, the center pin is the neutral safety switch to the starter relay and the two outer pins are the back up light switch. It sounds like you have some missing wires to start with.
In 68, the safety swicht have one wire and the backup light swicht is inside to the center console.