News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any A body guys here...69 dart qustion

Started by mpdlawdog, January 03, 2014, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

OK so my exwife bought my son a 69 dart....which is cool but its a 4 door 6cyl...my son is totally into cars and has helped me with my 72 challenger so we wanted to embrace this (hes a good kid)  anyway...I dont know crap about a bodies and had a few questions...they guys at another website havent responded after a month...

as far as the quarters are a two door and a 4 door the same?  and rockers?

and will a 70 fender fit on a 69?  I think they are different because of the grill :shruggy:

any help would be great!!
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Pete in NH

Hi,

I think you'll find the two door and four door quarter panels are totally different as are the rocker panels. The two door quarter panels are are much longer to make up for the rear door. Like wise the rocker panels are much shorter on a two door. As far as front fenders, the 70 will likely bolt on but, as you say won't look right around the grille. A 67 or 68 fender will work with the exception of the marker lights. 67 no marker, 68 round light, 69 is a rectangular reflector.

I think he will have fun with the slant six they are great little engines. Very easy to work on and there are ways to get a two barrel carb. on them for a little more go power.

C_stripes

The rear half of the 1/4 is the same. The rocker can be used, but is a bit different length. The 70-72 dart fender is completely different. However, a 67-69 and 73-76 dart fenders are the same with the exception of the marker light and one or two mounting bolts. I had a 67 that needed a fender and used one off of a 74 dart I had, after welding up the market light hole, you couldn't tell. It's unfortunate about being a four door, but is still a good beginner car. I hope he enjoys it.

Btw, I have owned every year of dart from 67-76, 69's are my second favorite. Great looking cars.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Ghoste

Where are you located?  I know a guy with a 69 four door that was originally a Texas car and he's hard up for cash right now so you never know...

mpdlawdog

Thanks for the replys...I was afraid of there being a difference but kind of figured....I cant find a repop quarter for a 4 door...just my luck!!  I guess I will have to patch the back....I dont want to put a ton of money into it...because its a 4 door and he will probably give it a few dents

Ghoste...I live in delaware...just north of columbus...what does he have?

Ghoste

I'm wondering if the whole car could be had cheaply enough to make it a viable parts car.  He isn't a car guy so he doesn't have a stash of parts and the car itself isn't perfect.  If not for being a four door it would make a great resto project, as it is it should be someones great parts car.
The question is, how hard up is he?  I know he's pressed for cash but he's one of those guys that I don't think he knows it.
I'll poke around a bit and see what I can find.  A buddy and I have been joking about a road trip to Spencer (which for us by the time we drive there, Delaware isn't much further) so if the car is cheap enough that you are interested, who knows?

mpdlawdog

Ok....our car needs body work bad...I scored a nice drivers side fender but the rest have been hard to find....our car runs and drives...he actually drives it around the parking lot!  Thanks for checking

Ghoste

Scratch that brilliant plan, he just sold it about six weeks ago.  Not that it matters but he got 1200 for it.

Pete in NH

If you haven't already, check out Auto Body Specialties in Connecticut. They have a lot of items for 67-69 Darts including partial patch panels for front fenders and rear quarters. They also list rocker panels. I've talked to them in the past and found them very helpful in adapting available parts to what was needed.

Troy

I wouldn't put *any* money into a 4 door Dart other than to make it safe and legal (and sometimes I'm not real concerned with either). Patch the quarters with cardboard, chicken wire, fiberglass, Bondo, etc. just to cover the holes and stop the rust. It's an old car so it will (typically) be a continuous drain on the wallet. Put the money where it will do the most good. No sense in having new quarters if the car can't power itself out of the driveway! You can buy a fairly nice drivable 2 door in a couple years for cheap after he has proven he can manage the car. The drive train should hold up well so if you happen to find a 2 door roller in the future you're all set! There are rust-free shells out west that I bet they can't give away. I scored some frame rails and fenders from a 4-door a while back and then found out it would have been cheaper to ship the whole car!

No matter, it sounds like a good reward and a good way to spend time together.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I know you meant for yourself but it has to be safe and legal for your kids no matter what.

Tilar

Quotemy son is totally into cars and has helped me with my 72 challenger so we wanted to embrace this (hes a good kid)  anyway..

Just to put price and value into perspective and since I did spend the time to build a car with my son when he was 15,  what Cooter said above can't be bought at any price... so putting a grand or so into a beater dart is well worth the money.   :Twocents:

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

67-68 fenders interchange....69 ALL BY ITSELF.first year of the 'angry'or 'pinched' look with headlights tucked in and UP.
Will work if whole 69 front end is used. Same with 70-72 stuff.
Agreed find a 2dr body and build that.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2014, 04:36:12 PM
I know you meant for yourself but it has to be safe and legal for your kids no matter what.
Well, that's my point and the reason I put that in quotes because it pertains only to me. When I was a kid I built my own cars and, unless the police pulled me over and ticketed me, I doubt my parents had a clue if they were safe OR legal. So, that's priority 1. Fixing body damage is much further down on the list. Technically, NOT on my list at all for a 4-door Dart. Make it a solid, cool driver and stop messing with it!

Troy

Alaskan_TA

Save them when you can, they are not making any more. I have two 1970 four doors so far, this is my Dart;

mpdlawdog

I totally get it...I would not touch a 4 door..I didnt buy it...my exwife bought it for him.....it is a totally running and driving....hes 12 and wants to learn...I figured it wouldnt be a bad car to learn on because if something gets jacked up its not that great of "loss"....and I mean no disrespect to any 4 door lovers....it will be his first car....so it will probably get wrecked or obtain a few booboos...thanks for the help guys.......

mpdlawdog

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2014, 02:41:36 PM
Scratch that brilliant plan, he just sold it about six weeks ago.  Not that it matters but he got 1200 for it.

it wouldnt happend to have been a green on green car with an extra motor tranny and rear end would it :scratchchin:

Troy

Quote from: mpdlawdog on January 06, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
I totally get it...I would not touch a 4 door..I didnt buy it...my exwife bought it for him.....it is a totally running and driving....hes 12 and wants to learn...I figured it wouldnt be a bad car to learn on because if something gets jacked up its not that great of "loss"....and I mean no disrespect to any 4 door lovers....it will be his first car....so it will probably get wrecked or obtain a few booboos...thanks for the help guys.......

I didn't realize he's 12. I had assumed you'd want it mechanically sound first but it doesn't sound like it will be going too many places too soon. If you have the time and equipment it would be a good thing to teach him body work on - but that's about the only reason I'd patch the body. It may be hard to keep his interest for 3+ years if he can't actually take it out. Maybe some father/son cruises so he can get a feel for the car? I wouldn't take it apart for any length of time.

Troy