News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 440 4spd crank question

Started by darkside, August 05, 2013, 04:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

I have a 70 non hp 440 engine that had a 727 behind it and I will be changing to a hemi 4spd  and was wondering if I haft to machine the crank for the 4spd ?here is a pic below.

ws23rt

From the picture I would say no. The crank is drilled for the pilot on the trans. input shaft. You will need a bushing for that bore.

John_Kunkel

Cranks of that era were drilled but not necessarily reamed to final size for a bushing. If the crank hole measures .9375" it will accept a normal bushing....if it's smaller there are bushings made for the smaller bore, NAPA has them.

To avoid either hassle, there is a bushing made that installs in the bore intended for the converter snout.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

darkside

My machine shop has never drilled a crank for a 4 speed . Does anyone know where I can buy a good crank that isn't to expensive.
I am not going to pay $ 750 for a  new crankshaft.

fy469rtse

darkside,
like John said, no drilling needed, you just need to measure hole size register to know what pilot bearing to order,
that's just tapped in, it supports input shaft on manual trans,
crank looks like its drilled deep enough , that's usually the issue 

darkside

i don't think its drilled  deep enough for the shaft.I sent a pic to brewers and they said it needed drilled.

RallyeMike

If you use the parts suggested by Kunkle, you can do a non-precision drill of the crank hole yourself for the cost of a couple bits. The other option is to cut the input shaft on the trans short.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ws23rt

I remember seeing the nose of a 4sp input shaft that was cut short. Maybe this was a solution someone found for your situation?  Not what I would do today but in the seventies I would have cut one to fit and not given it a second thought. (we did things for the day not the future) :slap:

ws23rt

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 31, 2014, 07:42:50 PM
If you use the parts suggested by Kunkle, you can do a non-precision drill of the crank hole yourself for the cost of a couple bits. The other option is to cut the input shaft on the trans short.

:2thumbs:  You beat me to it.

ACUDANUT

With that 70 Block, you won't have a issue. :Twocents:

Chargerguy74

How deep should the pilot hole be to properly accept the input shaft?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

darkside

I just got a new brewers hemi 4 speed  for $2,200 and I'm not going to grind the input shaft.I'll see if wayne can tell me how much needs to be took off  end of crank . I looked a  a 69hp 440 4 speed crank and its about the same but deeper for the shaft.i wonder if all steel crank  hp 440s are drilled?

ACUDANUT

ACUDANUT

I believe all B/RB engines that have a forged Crank are drilled out for a 4-speed.