News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering gearbox leak

Started by fireguyfire, June 25, 2014, 04:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

After a full resto on my 68 the only leak I seem to have is from my steering gearbox; it looks like the drip is coming from around the large circular "nut" on the the bottom end of the gearbox (about 2" across) if that makes sense.
My question is, can leaks be fixed on a steering gear box, or am I going to have to change it out eventually?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

twodko

Probably not what you want to hear but don't putz with it. Its old, sloppy and will leak again sooner rather than later.
Buy yourself a FirmFeel II box. When it arrives send your old box back for a core discount.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

fireguyfire

Whats a firmfeel worth, ballpark?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

twodko

The OO I bought my car from had mine installed as part of the deal. Give them a ring or google them.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

oldcarnut

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67669.0.html
Here's a little reference.  Not hard to do.  There are some other threads if you search.

fireguyfire

old car nut; great link; how do you get that big castle nut off?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

oldcarnut

Quote from: fireguyfire on June 27, 2014, 05:24:56 PM
old car nut; great link; how do you get that big castle nut off?
Well depending on what room you have you could use a spanner wrench or I'm not sure I remember exactly but I think I used a brass punch but either way it took a couple hard knocks to get it going.  If your going to try it, let it soak a little in some penetrating oil in the threads first.

fireguyfire

Cool; anybody know where to source a set of seals for a gearbox (68)?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

oldcarnut

fireguyfire

Okay: I took the advise here and purchased a new power steering gearbox as opposed to rebuilding the old one.
What is the best way to fill the new system to minimize air in it now that I have installed the new gearbox? Fill it a bit; turn the wheels full left to full right and fill more until full, or is there another way?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: fireguyfire on July 14, 2014, 08:07:13 PM
Okay: I took the advise here and purchased a new power steering gearbox as opposed to rebuilding the old one.
What is the best way to fill the new system to minimize air in it now that I have installed the new gearbox? Fill it a bit; turn the wheels full left to full right and fill more until full, or is there another way?

You got it, and with the car running turn  the steering wheel lock to lock as many times as it takes. Both of mine took a LOT.. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

fireguyfire

Thanks! Will I see bubbles in the power steering pump reservoir while the air is leaving?(like when you bleed brake lines)?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

toocheaptosmoke

Here's a procedure I use for bleeding fresh power steering systems:

-jack the front up off the ground a little (makes it easier to turn the wheels)
-top off the pump reservoir
-turn over the engine for a bit, if it starts don't let it run for more than a second
-top off the pump again, it will suck in a lot of fluid quick at the beginning.  You don't want to let it get low enough to start sucking any air
-start/stop engine again, keep topping off until fluid doesn't drop anymore
-with engine idling, slowy turn wheels from stop to stop a few times
-drink a beer

I have done this quite a few times and have never gotten the foaming fluid or squishy steering feel.  If you let the pump start sucking air and pushing it through the system that causes a lot of grief.