News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing drum brake distribution block with combination valve.

Started by Dino, July 31, 2014, 09:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I may have to do the drum to disc conversion sooner than later but the limited access to the distribution block on the frame rail has kept me from starting this little project.  I have both an aftermarket GM type brass combo valve and a 73-ish Mopar combo valve.  I'd like to use the latter but frankly whatever works best with the least amount of mods is what I need.  I thought I read here a while ago that the Mopar unit is an almost direct bolt in and I can use my stock brake lines.

Has anyone installed one of these?  Is it doable with the torsion bar in place?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar Nut

Do you mean a adjustable proportioning valve with a stock proportioning valve. Here's where I will be installing my adjustable proportioning valve with another option.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dino

Although I have one of those adjustable valves I am not going to use it.  Instead I would like to remove the stock drum distribution block and bolt one of the all in one combo valves in its place.  My biggest concern is the lack of room to work on this.  I think it would be a pita to replace the existing block let alone do an upgrade. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fy469rtse

Yep, Dino your not kidding,
if you look for my build thread, i had all this plumbed and thought it was finished with, had an issue with a cheap chinese version of the distribution block , after #$@! ing around with it and brake bleeding issues because of the junk,
had to remove header from that side to be able to replace it with new block and be able to do lines etc,  :-\ leave yourself a lot of time and be patient

bill440rt

Dino, I have the GM-style block on my '69 with the 4-wheel discs (they also make a disc-drum version as well).
Brakes seem to have a really good balance, no lock up at all. You'll need to get the wiring connector for the brake light switch & splice that in. I also did not use the adjustable valve.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce