News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear end/u-joint swap

Started by poppa, September 29, 2014, 08:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Hi all. I have heard of a u joint that can fit the large and small "yokes". I currently have a chunk with the large diameter yoke/driveshaft and may be putting in a chunk with the small dia. Are these u-joints strong enough for this? I have a bb w/4spd. I have a noise and I jacked her up ,when I turn a wheel back and forth it produces a noise. Tomorrow night I will disconnect the driveshaft to rule it and the trans out. But I am pretty sure it is the chunk. It is an 8 3/4 with 3.23 and the other will be an 3.55 (or 3.54,get the 8 3/4 and dana mixed up). OR could I swap the pieces that hold the u-joint in the rear end without messing anything else up??? Does it have to come apart to do this??? Haven't done much with rear ends except swap them. Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Dino

I'm sure you can take it apart and swap yokes but I don't have the stamina to do so.  I've been running the combo u joint for years now without any issues.  Auto trans but I do beat on it from time to time. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

If the third member is other than a 489 it's fairly easy to change the yokes but a yoke is usually more expensive than an adapter u-joint. If you change yokes you'll also need to change the straps so figure that into the cost.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

poppa

Sorry ,forgot to mention. It is a 489. So I can swap the yokes/flanges and not have to worry about the crush sleeve or anything?? The one I am going to put in hasn't been used since rebuild.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

BudW

Look for a 347 U-joint.
Its the combo big & small joint.

Not currently using one - but I have in the past without any issues, while waiting for $ for replacement parts.

BudW

Dino

Yeah that's the one.  I got mine at Carquest.  Precision 347.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

Unless you run sticky tires, you should be ok on the street....