News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tweaking a new Demon carb

Started by billschroeder5842, February 03, 2015, 07:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I'm wondering what or if there is anything I can do to tweak my new carb.

I put a Demon 1901 on my 75 roadrunner with a 400. The carb is a 625 cfm on a stock intake, stock dual exhaust, stock dizzy and stock dual air cleaner.

I'm super happy with the carb; runs great, starts fast and idels smooth. The only thing that bothers me is the occasional back fire when I stab (totally stomp) on the gas at lower RPMs. If I accerate just short of a full on stomp, the car takes it all with no back fire and accerates well.

The timing is currently set at 10 and the vacuum guage reads 17.5-18. This is "down" from 14 and 19 hg (which seemed to run pretty good on the old) but I was worried about detonation, so I backed it off.

If I increase the timing, I know I'll get a bit more umph off the line, but will that help to eliminate the occasional back fire?

Also, I worry about the accuracy of the mechanical timing light. What is the best way to time the engine using a vacuum guage? I know the Chevy guys time by vacuum successfully.

Thanks!!
Texas Proud!

A383Wing

is it a lean backfire? Maybe it needs a little more accelerator pump squirt?

billschroeder5842

So, just messing around I bumped the timing up to about 12-14ish and a super steaady 19hg adn 750 idle.

The car just feels better at this setting. I have to reconcile that that a 40 year old car is a bit loose and might not confor to factory specs.

I took it for a quick drive it it feels good from a dead stop with a normal/agressive acceration.

I did not punch it---yet. I'm drivining to work tomorrow!
Texas Proud!

c00nhunterjoe

Sure sounds like a lean pop to me. Might try stepping up a size on the discharge nozzle. I assume the secondaries are vaccum? If so, some adjustment there may be needed

Cooter

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 04, 2015, 06:40:38 PM
Sure sounds like a lean pop to me. Might try stepping up a size on the discharge nozzle. I assume the secondaries are vaccum? If so, some adjustment there may be needed

:yesnod:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"