News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daily driver

Started by reworked, September 02, 2015, 07:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reworked

I have read all the threads on these cars already but still want more opinions
I have been tossing the idea now for past year or so.....
I was looking at buying a new Ram for a daily driver and needing a truck..
I have a decent Dakota now that still runs perfect...
So, was now thinking (again) of buying a newer Challenger and keeping my Dakota also for winter and as a reno truck...I don't haul anything but a 17 foot boat

So I took a 2012 Challenger SRT 392 out for a spin...wow what a car , although I love my ole charger this car has it all at least to me...keeping the charger to  :)
what do you guys think of the challenger as an everyday (nice weather car) ...I hear the mileage is decent 22-23 mpg?......I commute about 50km day
this one is an Auto and loaded ...only has 4000k on it for around $40,000 cdn
thoughts please

Troy

I daily drive my 2015 Charger Scat Pack with the 392. I get about 17-18 mpg but I'm on city streets about 60% of the time. When I can get on the highway for extended periods it goes up over 20. Well, I also still have a problem mashing the pedal at random times so that doesn't help at all! Having leather seats, A/C, sunroof, a decent sound system, auto dimming mirrors, and good brakes makes the commute a whole lot nicer. I doubt I'll drive it all all in the winter though. Be aware of the tires if you plan on driving in heavy rain or when it's cold as they won't have nearly the same grip as a warm, dry day (and that engine is easily capable of spinning you right off the road). I do try to drive my old cars and trucks regularly but, in the summer, it's no fun showing up at the office all sweaty and smelling like fuel/exhaust/old interior.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

myk

Friend of mine bought a new Challenger for his daily commute.  That is the sort of car that takes some of the pain out of commuting...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

wingcar

I drive my '08 Challenger SRT to work everyday....short commute so gas mileage is not a huge factor.  But it does make the drive more enjoyable.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

reworked

Thanks Guys!
Exactly what I wanted to here!........I am excited , I was looking at R/T models first and they were very nice...then I drove the SRT, cant look back not at an R/T lol.......
I will shop around a bit but there are not that many around ...might try a manual and see how it feels, don't want a real heavy clutch though hate it when in stop and go driving..
would have loved a plum crazy one also but those years are too old for me now as I want something only 2-3 years old...and cant afford if they bring out a 2016 model in that color..
Do any of you have any striping on the car?.......anyone seen any with Bill board stripe?
Thanks

wingcar

I have a red pin stripe running down the side, it follows the body crease.  Had to have something to break up the Challengers black color a bit.  Not only does it stand out against the Brilliant Black paint, but it matches the red Brembo brake calipers. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

reworked

Well...........The deals were Just to good on end of year clearances of RAM trucks.....so I got a smok'n deal on a 2015 loaded sport edition....guess the Challenger was just a dream for now lol

1974dodgecharger

A prius gets 45mpg those are a lot better.....I know the new hellcats claim 15mpg and city 18 or so, but if you factor in that a prius gets 45 so 45 divided by say 18 you nearly 2.5 times better MPG.  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I had my Daytona as a daily driver, I loved it for the first few months in the nice weather. 

When winter (snow, salt etc) rolled around, not so much. 

Also I was treating my "daily" too much like a toy.  Id get stressed taking it any where to park etc....Traded it in 1 & a half years early for a real "daily"...a Honda :rotz:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

lloyd3

You'll note the older Honda Civic in the foreground here.  There's also an old Dodge 4x4 pickup (for when my driveway turns into a Luge run in winter!) in the turnaround that you can't see.

Fourtyseven year-old muscle cars kinda suck as daily drivers. Especially at 6mpg.  Air conditioning and disc-brakes are nice too.

Aero426

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 22, 2015, 09:20:26 PM
A prius gets 45mpg those are a lot better.....I know the new hellcats claim 15mpg and city 18 or so, but if you factor in that a prius gets 45 so 45 divided by say 18 you nearly 2.5 times better MPG.  :2thumbs:

You'd have to pay me to drive a Prius.    And I don't think you could pay me enough.    :rofl:

reworked

Quote from: Aero426 on September 24, 2015, 10:08:23 AM
A prius gets 45mpg those are a lot better.....I know the new hellcats claim 15mpg and city 18 or so, but if you factor in that a prius gets 45 so 45 divided by say 18 you nearly 2.5 times better MPG.  :2thumbs:

You'd have to pay me to drive a Prius.    And I don't think you could pay me enough.    :rofl:

AGREED!!.....Never would be caught dead driving a Prius .....

ws23rt

Quote from: reworked on September 24, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on September 24, 2015, 10:08:23 AM

You'd have to pay me to drive a Prius.    And I don't think you could pay me enough.    :rofl:

AGREED!!.....Never would be caught dead driving a Prius .....

I'd drive a Prius if ---
1- It didn't look like a Prius
2-If it had a big V8 engine that used what the dinosaurs gave their all for. (in their memory).
3-If the extra dinosaur heat energy could be stored and plugged into my house when I get home. :D

Ponch ®

Ive been driving my 2010 Challenger R/T for two years. 44 miles 3 days a week and 20 miles the other two. I don't have any issues with it as far as comfort, convenience, or practicality (weather is nice year round in SoCal) but its not exactly the most economical, even with cheap gas.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ws23rt

:2thumbs:  If we are moved to be economical in our choice of cars to drive there are many to chose from.  :icon_smile_wink:  You could drive a smart car.  :shruggy:  It is what it is but the bike lane comes to mind. :lol:

I'm thankful that for the time being we still have a choice about what we drive.  BTW a 2010 challenger RT is a great car by every measure that I've seen/and driven.  :cheers:  And it's a fine/distinctive looking car in this world of --who knows what that car is.--

Ponch ®

Quote from: ws23rt on September 24, 2015, 07:26:49 PM
:2thumbs:  If we are moved to be economical in our choice of cars to drive there are many to chose from.  :icon_smile_wink:  You could drive a smart car.  :shruggy:  It is what it is but the bike lane comes to mind. :lol:

I'm thankful that for the time being we still have a choice about what we drive.  BTW a 2010 challenger RT is a great car by every measure that I've seen/and driven.  :cheers:  And it's a fine/distinctive looking car in this world of --who knows what that car is.--

I would rather not drive it daily (because Im putting a lot of miles on it). I don't want to get rid of it, so I wont trade it in for an Abarth (that's probably the way I'd go if I was going "economical") and If kept it and tried to get another car, the money id be saving on gas wouldn't offset the payments/insurance on an econobox. Plus, the wife says 3 cars (the Satellite, Challenger, and her Charger) for two people are enough  ;D
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

lloyd3

I look at cars in a very analytic way.  How much to buy, how much to run, & how long will it last?  Since I'm an old, married guy now (with child), how comfortable, dependable, & safe are factors as well.  Status and fun are considerations, but are only minimal since I have my "fun" car at home. People think these old muscle cars are expensive, but they really aren't when you consider how much $$$ I've saved by happily driving more mundane stuff for the last 20-years.  I simply didn't care what was the newest, coolest thing because in my mind, none of them held a candle to what was sitting in my garage.   I like my 10-year old Civic and my 15-year old truck even better because I know how much money I'm saving by keeping them just a little bit longer.   As long as they meet my basic criteria, they stay.  

ws23rt

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 24, 2015, 08:31:00 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on September 24, 2015, 07:26:49 PM

I would rather not drive it daily (because Im putting a lot of miles on it). I don't want to get rid of it, so I wont trade it in for an Abarth (that's probably the way I'd go if I was going "economical") and If kept it and tried to get another car, the money id be saving on gas wouldn't offset the payments/insurance on an econobox. Plus, the wife says 3 cars (the Satellite, Challenger, and her Charger) for two people are enough  ;D

:cheers: I get the many different life situations we end up with.  When I speak it's from my place/perspective--not currently married and my cats let me do as I will. :lol: