News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 1974 Dodge Charger Rubber Reveal mouldings coming soon

Started by chargerkid, February 28, 2007, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulcoruptor

I have a complete set with no cracks with the exception of the right front corner piece missing a big chunk but the rest of them are hard but pristine.  I just found out how much my car books for and it motivated me to get moving on my resto I guese there's not that many #s matching 440 73s out there
"What I don't know is infinitely greater than what I do"

Nacho-RT74

I can understand the loosing interest on these. As far I have known, they ( or PG ) didn't get success reproducing the 73/74 tail lenses, so maybe they don't want to take the risk.

But I can understand the out of success on 73/74 tail lenses, and its been shared for one or several of this reasons ( I don't remember if I posted a replay telling this yet ):

-73/74 Chargers are not same value than earliers, so ppl don't want to spend $400 on a set for a less value car

-easier to get still good used tail lenses. Maybe not everyone SHOW conditions but still decent for a driver, that being a car not that valuable than earliers is good enough for 73/74 owners. Beside that 73/74 production was around 200 thousands of units ( best sold model ). Lot of used market still around.

-If you ask me, even being a valuable car, tail lenses are a litte bit pricey. I still think the same on RT-Rallye lenses, what by the way are based on just one side, so once mounted one side will get turned around the PNs

One opinion at a side:
-I think in fact $100-110 for parking lenses rate is a bit pricey being a CLEAR lense ( even with paint job ), being so masive product ( 4 years use the same ) so more market, more demand. AND gasket coming with is a piece of s**t. Compairing with quality of lense that's a deception. I still had to get parking lense gasket from Detroit Muscle Technologies

HOWEVER, IN CONTRAST!!!

Bumper fillers are A DEMAND FOR EVERYONE, because ALL GETS WARPED, Used ones normally under the sun of a JY gets same warped, dried, so not enough used market around IN GOOD CONDITIONS. I don't think there is an owner totally satisfied with the conditions of his fillers in contrast with the conditions of his tail lenses where only deal with them is maybe a yellowed lense and that could be slightly saved or doesn't care to the owner.

AND... price needs to be carefully analized if they want to have success. I think they have to think on "masive" sells with a lower price, instead get the inversion filled with just 10 units/kits sold ( or so ).
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

soulcoruptor

:brickwall: Just when I get phonix graphics to start producing the reflective stripe that I needed I run into a problem with these fillers if anyone finds a solution please email me @ soulcoruptor@yahoo.com thanks
"What I don't know is infinitely greater than what I do"

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

daytona71

Does anyone know who the OEM supplier to Dodge was for these fillers? Possibly they are still in operation and the original forms/extrusions are still around. Maybe a new run of a few thousand could be done by that company or others. Just a thought

Nacho-RT74

is a good idea !!!, but if it was in that way, then would it be the same to rest of parts. No more repro parts needed, just remake them on same old casts... I think :shruggy:

( valid for all brands )

rudyjrusa

if we can find a chinese manufacturing connection - i think we can do it ourselves!

moparguy01

nah, I think we'd prefer to keep this stateside. It'd be nice to at least have 10 jobs left in our country. I have a possibility of this happening, I just don't want to say yes or no until I have a for sure yes. At the least I'm going to see about doing a limited run.

TexasStroker

Well sad to see BE&A lost interest.  Like I said it was at least a year ago when I last talked to him...I was going to tell everyone with questions to send him good pics....let them assess the pics, and then if they looked good there they could be sent in to make the mold. 

Maybe the metro route is the way to go with this.  I don't have a 73 or 74, but I'd like to see them made all the same.  One of my good friends has wanted these for a long time, and as mentioned I know a lot of ple who would replace theirs if anything better was available and more importantly several folks who will be needing them when they get their car wrapped up.

My advice would be to go to the company with names and committments for "x" sets.  That would give them a good idea of what to expect in terms of sales.  And if you take your time and get a big enoug, legitimate list they can take into account the cost for developing the mold vs immediate influx of cash and do a pretty decent cost-benefit analysis on it.  Once you have recouped your cost for the mold, the parts that they will receive from the mfg. are very reasonable..the mark up is huge, and well you do the math...You start making a profit on this stuff fairly quickly if it is in demand and tooling up the mold isn't ridiculous...which I don't think it would be for these parts.

Just my two cents.

If the Metro lead pans out let me know and I'll try my best to get committments from regional folks to help encourage this.  This is one of those items that a mustang or camaro could get for $20 from any repop house and not even have to worry about...a Charger deserves that and much more.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

SG1022

Quote from: TexasStroker on October 30, 2009, 01:52:02 PM
Well sad to see BE&A lost interest.  Like I said it was at least a year ago when I last talked to him...I was going to tell everyone with questions to send him good pics....let them assess the pics, and then if they looked good there they could be sent in to make the mold. 

Maybe the metro route is the way to go with this.  I don't have a 73 or 74, but I'd like to see them made all the same.  One of my good friends has wanted these for a long time, and as mentioned I know a lot of ple who would replace theirs if anything better was available and more importantly several folks who will be needing them when they get their car wrapped up.

My advice would be to go to the company with names and committments for "x" sets.  That would give them a good idea of what to expect in terms of sales.  And if you take your time and get a big enoug, legitimate list they can take into account the cost for developing the mold vs immediate influx of cash and do a pretty decent cost-benefit analysis on it.  Once you have recouped your cost for the mold, the parts that they will receive from the mfg. are very reasonable..the mark up is huge, and well you do the math...You start making a profit on this stuff fairly quickly if it is in demand and tooling up the mold isn't ridiculous...which I don't think it would be for these parts.

Just my two cents.

If the Metro lead pans out let me know and I'll try my best to get committments from regional folks to help encourage this.  This is one of those items that a mustang or camaro could get for $20 from any repop house and not even have to worry about...a Charger deserves that and much more.

Yeah   :'(  That last part especially

Wile E Coyote

Hello fellow 73/74 owners.
Of the six pieces, I have four NOS that have been in-waiting for my restoration I started in 1993.  I bought these in 1994 and they're still mint.

TexasStroker is correct with the market analysis need to understand how many people are interested in these bumper fillers.  Even with that information known, it doesn't change the costs to manufacture. 

I'm in the process of using an injection molding company to make an invention of mine that's the size of a bottle cap; it's about $10,000 to make the tooling that will produce 2 pieces at a time for .15 cents each.  I obviously can't charge $100 a piece to the first 100 people so I can recoup my costs when it's a $2.00 item. 

The point I'm arriving at is that if it's not a huge company that can wait years to recoup manufacturing costs, a smaller company or individual person won't be able to make these six pieces (plus the headlight fillers) at a reasonable cost. 

We have to ask ourselves what we're willing to pay for the pieces. Just as a "what-if"; Imagine the four corner pieces costing $100 a piece and the hood/trunk pieces costing $250 each; $900 for the set?

With that said, I've started a petition for those of us 73-74 Charger owners who want these bumper-filler reveal moldings reproduced.  Please contact all 73-74 Charger owners you know to sign this petition.  I've set a goal of 500 signatures.  While we are achieving that goal, I'll contact some major manufacturers of reproduction parts and tell them our story, let them know about the petition, and see if we can't get these made.

Here's the link for the petition:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/7374bumperfiller/

After the preloaded petition statement "I support this petition" please type in "Reveal moldings".
This is a public petition so I can't prohibit look-see'ers from signing it, but I can delete their signatures.
If the signature has "reveal moldings" in the statement, I'll consider it valid as proof they've read this post or have been instructed by a reader of this post.
This is very important to add "reveal moldings" so that this petition can remain as true as possible.

Let's hope this helps!
68 Roadrunner, 440,4-spd
71 Superbee, Citron Yella, 383,slapstick
71 Charger 500, Autumn Bronze, 383,4-spd, A/C
72 Imperial, 2-dr hdtp
74 Charger SE, 440-auto, sunroof
84 Crew Cab Dually, 440-auto
01 Quad Cab Dually, HO Cummins;6-spd (sold)
08 H-D, Softail Custom (sold)
08 Challenger SRT-8, Hemi Orange, 6.1 Hemi (sold)

Nacho-RT74

Wile E Coyote

...well... that's only 100 per state...
And if we can't find that many 73-74 owners, I reckon that 'splains why no one makes them....
However, always the optimist....
Maybe 100 signatures are enough.
I'll learn more when I start contacting manufacturers.
68 Roadrunner, 440,4-spd
72 Imperial, 2-dr hdtp

SG1022

Quote from: Wile E Coyote on December 18, 2009, 04:23:43 PM
...well... that's only 100 per state...
And if we can't find that many 73-74 owners, I reckon that 'splains why no one makes them....
However, always the optimist....
Maybe 100 signatures are enough.
I'll learn more when I start contacting manufacturers.

Do only 5 states have charger owners?  :icon_smile_big:

TUFCAT

Maybe you should start a new thread - something like "petition signatures needed for 73-74 restoration part".

You can provide a link to this thread topic, and a link to the petition site.

I think you'll get more awareness, therefore more signatures.

daytona71

Does anyone live near Tempe Arizona? AAA-ACME Rubber Company does small run orders, has neoprene rubber as one of their products. Maybe someone could drop by their plant and show them first hand what the 6 pieces are that we all require
Their contact info is:

Toll Free 1-800-AAA-ACME • Tel 480 966-9311 • Fax 480 966-2273
2003 E. Fifth St., Bldg. #1, Tempe, AZ 85281

Just a thought unless someone has already contacted them. Would keep the product in N. America

Wile E Coyote

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 20, 2009, 11:05:12 AM
Maybe you should start a new thread - something like "petition signatures needed for 73-74 restoration part".

You can provide a link to this thread topic, and a link to the petition site.

I think you'll get more awareness, therefore more signatures.

Great idea. Done. Thank you.
68 Roadrunner, 440,4-spd
72 Imperial, 2-dr hdtp

Tilar

Ok, Pardon the apparently stupid question here, but the mouldings y'all are talking about... Are they the grey ones in all of these pics around the bumper?

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Tilar

Well, I'd gladly donate mine for a mold for everyone as long as I get mine back in same condition, or at least a new set.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

74magnum

Dont mean to start up a dead thread but whats the 411 with these moldings? Still MIA and not available from anywhere?

Nacho-RT74

74magnum

Well I just talked with MMPAR and this is what I was told... they obviously have the rear fillers available. They are soon going to offer the rear center but you have to reuse your own brackets. Now as far as the front... they said they have a center and driver side to reference... but they don't yet have their hands on a good/NOS passenger side filler. I told them I'd get the word out to guys and see if anyone has a good piece they are willing to borrow to them so they could use it for reverence.... so anyone have a good PASSENGER filler they'd be willing to part temporarily?