News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 charger recreation

Started by spoolinhard, November 22, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

And another:

Will be installing the trunk floor shortly

Baldwinvette77

tsmithae

:popcrn: :popcrn:

Looks like some quality work! I'll be sure to keep watching your progress.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

spoolinhard

These aren't exactly the most current photos, just the only ones that I have. Currently the tail light panel is  installed, the rear package tray/Dutchman are cut out and it is on the rotisserie.

Cooter

Nice. Good to see progress...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

spoolinhard

I may have been slacking on posting progress, but not working on the car. I have been fighting this area over the past few months

spoolinhard

It was rotten back into the roof structure

chaos52

:eek2:

I don't envy you. Keep poking away at it. I tend to work on multiple areas so I don't have to be working on the same d*** thing every day. Keeps it interesting!  :2thumbs:

crj1968

Looking great man- keep up the good work!  Oh, and if you need funds, I need a 70 passenger fender.   :icon_smile_big:

:cheers:

spoolinhard

Passengers side after completion. I had to replace the inner skin as well as the the bottom portion of the roof frame structure where it meets the wheelhouse

Here is the drivers side before repair

Here is the inner roof structure that I was talking about. Needed replaced on both sides

spoolinhard

Quote from: crj1968 on May 20, 2014, 10:51:22 AM
Looking great man- keep up the good work!  Oh, and if you need funds, I need a 70 passenger fender.   :icon_smile_big:

I sold off my spare pass fender about six months ago. This ones stayin :icon_smile_big:

spoolinhard

Replaced the tail light panel a while ago:

crj1968

Quote from: spoolinhard on May 20, 2014, 10:58:06 AM
Quote from: crj1968 on May 20, 2014, 10:51:22 AM

I sold off my spare pass fender about six months ago. This ones stayin :icon_smile_big:
:brickwall:

Tailpanel looks great!  Talk about a labor of love.....   :coolgleamA:

spoolinhard

I have installed all my panels that I have for it, need to but another round. Going 2 do quarter skins a drivers outter wheelhouse and I need a pass side rocker for it yet. Just about a new build charger. Using pretty much a roof and 3 frame rails at this point. I have been sidelined by a shortage of funds but I am starting a new job so :2thumbs:
Here is how it sits. and the rear window area was murder like I can't put into words

ChargerSG

Great metalwork going on, looking good :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Baldwinvette77

chaos52

Smart man, putting it on a rotisserie. My knees and back curse me daily for not building one.

The metal work is looking spectacular. Are you having any fitment problems with the AMD panels? I've heard they can be a bit wonky. I'm sure it's still much better that patching though. Saves a lot of time in bondo work too.

Are you going to do the paint work yourself too?

spoolinhard

Quote from: chaos52 on August 02, 2014, 10:04:04 PM
Smart man, putting it on a rotisserie. My knees and back curse me daily for not building one.

The metal work is looking spectacular. Are you having any fitment problems with the AMD panels? I've heard they can be a bit wonky. I'm sure it's still much better that patching though. Saves a lot of time in bondo work too.

Are you going to do the paint work yourself too?

I am using mostly goodmark! A few AMD I don't buy into the AMD hype on most of their panels. I speak from experience on that one. They need fitment just like everything else. No single panel dropped into place except the rockers (Goodmark). Everything required a little fitment. And yes I will be tackling the body and paint as well.

Mike DC

The repro stuff has some problems that need to be fixed, I agree.  

But at the same time, not many surviving N.O.S. original panels are going to drop right into place either.  

We will never get perfect-fitting replacement parts for such imperfect original cars.  I've measured stuff on surviving cars and gotten dimensions as much as 3/4" different in non-critical areas.  Modern car tolerances are more like 2-3 millimeters.

If the repro companies tweak a dimension of a part to fit some cars better then it will fit other cars even worse.  The best they can do is try to recreate the original stuff, flaws and all.

spoolinhard

I understand this. It is my job to fit the part. I just don't buy into the amd is the best because it is the most expensive.  I have used AMD full quarters on my challenger. That is the reason that I am going with goodmark skins on the charger.

chaos52

Quote from: spoolinhard on August 04, 2014, 04:08:33 PM
I am using mostly goodmark! A few AMD I don't buy into the AMD hype on most of their panels. I speak from experience on that one. They need fitment just like everything else. No single panel dropped into place except the rockers (Goodmark). Everything required a little fitment. And yes I will be tackling the body and paint as well.

My bad, I wasn't aware anyone besides AMD re-popped the panels you're using. True, all panels will need a little massaging. I just remember seeing people have especially bad problems with AMD valance corners and taillight panel.

Glad to hear you're doing the body work too. It's certainly a labor of love. (also know as an obsession)  :icon_smile_big:

Keep it up!  :2thumbs:

spoolinhard

A fitting end to this thread. I could not go through with the 70 conversion. A few years back, I sold the car as a 69. The guy I sold the car to, ran a custom shop, he finished the car. This Saturday 6/24/2023, the car will go up for action live on barrett-jackson. Lot #690.

spoolinhard