News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is a good rust proof etching primer

Started by 73chargers4404, June 01, 2006, 08:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargers4404

what is a good rust proof etching primer,ive been watching all these hotrod shows and they say after they get blasted they prime the car in rust proofing primer.any idea on what they talking about.thanks brian

mopar_madman

I use a liquid metal prep or refered to as metal conditioner ( dupont 5717 S, piclex, metal ready are examples) It is a phosphoric acid used to etch the metal for adhesion and remove light corrosion. Then I use epoxy primer ( all the paint companies have their own brand) This seals the metal and you can put your high build primer over it for block sanding. Some people have different methods for their corrosion protection, this is the method I use, I'm sure others will give you some other ideas.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Drop Top

I agree with Madman. Only I use PPG's dplf or Valspars dp line. I'm not a big Du Pont fan. I'm not saying its bad. I just dont like it.

hemi-hampton

Better then ppg's epoxy primer is what they call a self etching wash primer, This usually has a yellowish greenish transparent look & a strong acid small due to the Chemicals in it but these chemicals are best suited for bare metal protection. As far as I know no Metal prepping metal conditioners needed or used since self etching. But I like to sand all the metal with 80 grit anyways to clean up & then add the wash Primer. Add 1 coat Wash Primer then 1 coat ppg Epoxy Primer. Then it can sit forever being protected while you do the bodywork. LEON.

73chargers4404

use a liquid metal prep or refered to as metal conditioner ( dupont 5717 S, piclex, metal ready are examples) It is a phosphoric acid used to etch the metal for adhesion .so this just cleans the metal and preps it for primer .epoxy primer is that a etching primer and if you guys could get part numders of all this stuff the conditioner and primer  ppg and dupont tha guys at oreillys i dont trust much all i want something i wont have to take back off.thanks

73chargers4404

Drop Top

Du Pont -> 5717S <-This is the part number for the Metal Conditioner
PPG also makes a Metal Conditioner But I can't think of the part number. If you took the labels off the bottle you would not be able to tell them apart.
PPG's DPLF40 or DPLF50 and so on. DPLF is the part number for the primer the number is the color. 40 is a green/gray 50 is black. This type of primer is also a very good sealer for under the color coat. So you get 2 types of primer for the price of one.
I don't like useing a self etch primer. Its easier but dosent work as well. I've had too many comebacks with it so I quit useing it. Gets too expensive for me when I have to redo something. Nothing beats using metal etch and then a good bare metal primer.

73chargers4404

i thougt etching primer was what you wanted to use on bare metal what the differnece in etching primer and self etching primer.i plan on paying someone to paint it candie apple red but i was going to primer it my self.thanks

mopar_madman

metal cond. is a liquid acid that etches but then you need a epoxy primer over it to seal the bare metal. There is a sprayable primer called etching primer some use that instead of epoxy. Its more a matter of preference with some. The sprayable is one step and you can do your High build primer over it. Some people like to acid etch because it also removes any surface rust that is begining and the epoxy goes over it. The method I  like is the metal cond. prep You can clean your bare metal with it and then do your body work, It will hold off the corrosion (make sure you sand any areas before you put filler on) When your done with body work you can prime the surface with epoxy and if there are any areas you want to work more you can put filler over epoxy or just spray your high build primer and start block sanding. There are more then one way to do this but I would say this is most popular (just my opinion) I'm sure others will give you their methods just find one that works best for you.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Lord Warlock

POR15 used to make a good primer that was rust proof.  You can check them out to see if it is still available. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Telvis